Author Topic: Petrol or diesel  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Taff

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Petrol or diesel
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:12:59 pm »
I’m part way in to buying a new CX-5, it’s time for me to decide on petrol or diesel. The vids I’ve watched seem to point to diesel but I’m concerned about it not being worth anything in a few years. Open to any advice or opinion, thanks.

Offline aljshep

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: Petrol or diesel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:48:21 pm »
I recently bought a new Mazda 6 tourer and had to make that decision.
I got the biggest petrol engine available (2.5L).
It was £2,500 cheaper than the equivalent diesel.
It gets 40 mpg and will take 4 years to cost that much more in fuel.
Cheaper servicing.
Same power but less torque.  Enough for me though.
Quieter, and warms up quicker.
I feel much happier doing less damage on short journeys (I do long ones too).
But no regeneration, adblue or any of the engine/particulate problems that diesel brings.
PS We have a newish diesel CX-5 too and I know which one I prefer.

Offline ceegee

• Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:33 pm »
I had a CX 5 diesel auto AWD for 3 years and now have a petrol CX5 auto (FWD,) the reason for changing to petrol was due to having a low annual mileage (around 5000) My calculations showed that the payback period of the £1500 extra for the diesel would be 5-6 years so not worth the extra. Av MPG for the last 3000 miles is 36 according to the trip computer, the main difference I have noticed is that lower torque of the petrol engine leads to more gearchanges, as it is an auto this is not an issue. The gearing is also slightly lower than the diesel

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 05:10:22 am »
I've had my CX-5 petrol automatic for just over a year now and extremely pleased with it, they're excellent VFM compare to other similar spec/quality cars. After 35yrs of doing 20-25k miles a year in larger capacity automatic diesel company cars the lack of low down torque took a while to get use to but don't even notice it now. It's only done 8k miles in a year as my Wife has a car too, it's averaged around 37mpg and was £2k cheaper than the diesel version so the petrol option was definitely the right choice for what I need. The resale value may well prove to be better too but that's as yet is purely speculation.

Offline MartyS

• Mazda convert since 2012
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:33:41 pm »
I've just bought a 2018 CX-5 2.0 Petrol Sport Nav. I searched extensively for the spec. I wanted, I found the used petrol CX-5's are becoming more expensive than equivalent diesel versions. I also missed several that were sold before the ad got posted so they are getting snapped up quicker.

A main dealer, not the one I bought from, admitted to me the diesel versions are getting harder to re-sell.

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:16:16 am »
I've just bought a 2018 CX-5 2.0 Petrol Sport Nav. I searched extensively for the spec. I wanted, I found the used petrol CX-5's are becoming more expensive than equivalent diesel versions. I also missed several that were sold before the ad got posted so they are getting snapped up quicker.

A main dealer, not the one I bought from, admitted to me the diesel versions are getting harder to re-sell.
I called into the dealer's I bought mine from recently as the Mrs wanted to look at the CX-30 and they said exactly the same about diesel versions.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:16:16 am »