Author Topic: Wheel rim protectors  (Read 11218 times)

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Wheel rim protectors
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:24:30 pm »
Has anyone used rim protectors on their alloys? Are they effective and do they look naff when fitted? I'm due to collect my new Sport Nav in September  and, whilst I'm very careful with my alloys, there is always the risk of kerbing by the missus who'll be the main  driver.  :)

I shudder to think of damaging the 19s as they're two tone and likely  to be an expensive repair.   

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2013
Re: Wheel rim protectors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:38:39 am »
I have the 19 inch wheels, and after 20 months there are no marks. The combination of high profile tyres and rims which are narrower than the wheels means the chances of touching them are low.
Many modern cars have low profile tyres and rims which are level with or even wider than the tyres. Then you have little chance of avoiding kerbing.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:05 pm »
Agree with what Mike says. The only damage I've done to mine in three years was from hitting a pothole which damaged the N/S/F rim. The council paid for that repair  :) If you hit it hard enough to deform the tyre that much, it seems to me a bit unlikely that any add-on rim protector would do its job anyway?

My wife had a Polo Dune a few years ago which was easy to kerb as it add an odd combination of wheel and tyre, the wheel rim being quite a bit wider than the tyre.

Alan

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:32 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm so used to low profile tyres on my previous cars I was thinking the worst . I didn't realise that the tyres extended out more than the alloys, and that they have a higher profile, which is great news. I can now spend the savings on my Golf alloys which are flaking quite badly.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:32 pm »