Author Topic: Spare wheel  (Read 24328 times)

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Spare wheel
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
I had a puncture at little over 1,000 miles.

Found a small screw through the tread after pulling into a filling station. Took it out easily and there was no sign of air still coming out.

Took one look at the bottle of solution and put it back!

Got a (small) can of TyreWeld from the station and used that instead, then pumped the tyre up with the pump supplied (the air line in the station was broken).

Nearly 2,000 miles later it has not lost any air at all. Had to reset the alarm twice for some reason.

But before I made my next long trip I bought the Mazda spare kit.

I was quoted prices up to £400, but eventually paid £318 which included 2 blocks of polystyrene at £33 each + VAT!

Apparent I was lucky as I had the jack and wheel brace, as these are not always supplied.

Has anyone actually had to use the Mazda kit to fix a puncture? Reading the instructions does not inspire me to risk having to use it in the middle of nowhere.

Offline howardsathome

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L
Re: Spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:31 am »
Hi MikeTB,
You raise quite a few interesting points.
The good thing is that we can let the roadside breakdown service look after problems, at least for 3 years anyway.
The sealant/compressor systems do work, but not something you would like to do at the roadside, unless you were really stranded.
Having said that the compressor is handy for many things, and enabled you to keep mobile on the day. The aerosol TyreWeld is unlikely to have re inflated the tyre. Any sealant system must only be regarded as a temporary repair. OK a small screw is fortunate but something a bit longer could cause unseen damage to the casing of the tyre and cause a failure later. Moisture can get in to the structure through the hole and again result in a subsequent failure. The tyre should always be removed from the wheel as soon as possible, inspected and have a permanent repair, typically a 'mushroom' plug applied through the tyre from the inside to seal the hole. This is covered by a British Standard which defines where it is possible to do this on the tyre. It is possible to remove the approved sealant from within the tyre to effect a satisfactory repair. However, it is not something that all the tyre trade is willing to do.
Car manufacturers have approved tyre sealant systems instead of spare tyres/jacks etc in the constant quest for weight/fuel saving, but only after extensive testing of products over the last 20 years. They are now the norm for Mazda/Honda/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/Mercedes/Audi/VW.
They do have a place, particularly with ever larger wheels/tyres which are not the easiest of things to change, assuming you have been able to jack up the car safely and remove the studs and get the wheel off at all.
Having said all that I better go and get on with my retirement.

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:02:30 am »
Further to my previous report.
Over 6 months later and the tyre is still holding pressure. On the basis that I now have a spare wheel, and an alarm if the tyre goes down, I am prepared to carry on for now.
My last car used to have problems with relatively rapid pressure loss for no apparent reason (even after new tyres were fitted). I gave a squirt of Tyreweld in the offending wheel, and pressure was then held OK. Never figured out why or how.

Offline howardsathome

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:55 pm »
Interesting. Your previous experience could well have been a porous alloy wheel, no brands are immune and BMW had serious problems. 'Honest John' (Telegraph writer) could give you many examples.

Offline MikeTB

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »
I agree about the porous alloy wheel, as I changed the wheels a few years ago and problem disappeared. It was always the same wheel which had the problems after a new tyre was fitted.

But how does a liquid which is designed to run around the inside of the tyre under centrifugal force seal the wheel?

Offline howardsathome

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
TyreWeld is a sealant and could fill some voids in wheels as well as tyres. Don't know the chemicals but it probably cures in the presence of air.

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:16:30 pm »
...The good thing is that we can let the roadside breakdown service look after problems, at least for 3 years anyway...

Can you tell me more - bought my January 2014 car as an ex-demo from a dealer in May this year, and although I have the warranty book I've heard no mention of roadside assistance cover - is this some standard benefit I inherit but am unaware of?

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:32 pm »
Taken from the Mazda website     http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/buying/overview/

Warranties
When you buy a new car from a Mazda Dealer, you get one of the most comprehensive manufacturer's warranties there is.

Roadside Assistance
We won’t leave you high and dry if things go wrong. If you need help with your car – if you need vehicle recovery, if you get a puncture or even lose your keys or run out of fuel, Mazda's European Assistance can help.

Car Insurance
We want you to enjoy every mile of the drive – relaxed in the knowledge that Mazda Car Insurance will be there for you with a great range of benefits, including 7 days cover free. With Mazda Car Insurance you can rest assured that your car is with people who know Mazda inside and out, with all repairs undertaken by authorised technicians using Mazda Genuine Parts

Perhaps as yours was not new when you bought it, the dealership didn't tell you. You could always purchase the Roadside Assistance for  £89    http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/offers/roadside-assistance/

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »
Happy days - just rang Mazda and the roadside assistance is like the warranty, it goes with car irrespective of change of owner.

Must cancel my green flag cover.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »