Author Topic: Oil and Water Temperatures  (Read 14604 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Oil and Water Temperatures
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:58 am »
As owners will already be aware of, the CX-5 does not have an Oil or Water Temperature display, only a lamp which illuminates blue when the engine temperature (water) is cold and red when it is too hot. The Mazda Works Hand Book indicates (so I am advised) that the blue lamp extinguishes when the water temperature reaches 40°C, blinks red at a temperature of 122°C and displays constant red at a temperature of 127°C.

Another resourceful CX-5 owner has part purchased/part knocked up himself, a gadget and display which clearly illustrates how various parameters change as the vehicle is driven. This follows long discussions on what is generally meant by 'we shouldn't drive short journey's' etc and over what distances things begin to warm up. He's posted an interesting video on YouTube which is of 14 minutes duration and which I recommend members to watch. There is a bit of music to be heard from his car radio/CD player at the beginning but this doesn't last long. One doesn't have to watch the full 14 minutes of course and a sort of fast forward can be achieved by sliding the play slider along the bar. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean.

https://youtu.be/84WzcUxVWnk

Edit: I've no idea what 'normal' running oil temperatures equate to in the CX-5 but by comparison my VW Touran 1.6 BM Tdi which did have an oil temperature gauge always displayed a temperature of 100°C after engine running for nearly a quarter of an hour which would rise to 120°C when towing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:26:13 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: Oil and Water Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:15:58 am »
A lot of cars with temperature gauges are not actually getting a true reading, it will just stay in one position depending on the settings used, so the traditional gauge is a bit of a waste of space, my 2009 xtrail was like that.

I'll have a look at the  link thanks.  :)
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:06:07 pm »
i assume that the you tube video is for a diesel as it took quite a while to start getting up near normal. The blue light goes off usually in less than a mile in normal ambient temps and at that time there is no way a diesel can  be any where near warmed up as they dont usually reach normal temperatures until at least 15 mins of running (less if you are accelerating up steep hills and more if coasting downhill), so the blue light is fairly meaningless. It doesn't say what the car in the video is or what he has used for sensors to feed the info but i feel the warm up guages looked fairly accurate and progressed roughly as expected.
It does show though that if you do repeated short journeys you wont ever get to normal operating temperature and probably wont do regens either.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
It doesn't say what the car in the video is or what he has used for sensors to feed the info but i feel the warm up guages looked fairly accurate and progressed roughly as expected.
It does show though that if you do repeated short journeys you wont ever get to normal operating temperature and probably wont do regens either.

Sorry, I should have added that the poster has a 2014 (Delivered May) 2.2D 150PS AWD
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »