Author Topic: Oil Levels  (Read 61393 times)

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Oil Levels
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:37 am »
There is an interesting comment in the manual about oil levels.
"If level rises above the maximum then an oil change is required" (not the exact wording)
Can anyone explain this?

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Oil Levels
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:39:07 am »
I read that this is caused by scavenged diesel in the DPF being recirculated back into the sump. Some info here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=102168 and here http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/mazda-announces-fix-for-cx-5-oil-problem-34231 although it appears not to have been raised as an issue in the UK as yet.

Alan

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:04:10 pm »
This is a problem that has been experienced by both Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 - 2.2 Diesels and is documented on both forums. It is indeed as Al suggests diesel running back into the sump and is highly dangerous for the engine. I think the fact that it has not so far been reported on the C X-5 is due to the relative "newness"  of the model.

As far as I am aware it is not limited to Mazda but most of the manufacturers who now use DPF technology.

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »
wow I cant believe this is still a issue although it looks like with software change its sorted, I got rid of my diesel 6 due to dpf 1st gen. anyone with a diesel should read the posts very interesting. 
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline oldcryptian

• Gloucester Man
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »
Handbook indeed suggests that "if the oil level is close to or exceeds the "x" mark.....replace the engine oil"[/i]  Thing is how close is close?  Checking the oil level this morning I noticed it was above the high mark but below the "x" mark. And the handbook says "warm up the engine to normal operating temperature, turn it off and wait for at least 5 minutes" before checking the oil level - I was always told to check the level when the engine was cold and the oil had had time to drain back into the sump.  Confusing :-\

Offline Monkeyhanger

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »
Thought you might find this interesting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:12:59 pm by Willpower »
Dave

Offline oldcryptian

• Gloucester Man
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
Monkeyhanger,

Many thanks, most interesting!  Where did you find this printout, nothing like it in my handbook?  I watch the oil level closely, it remains above full but below the X mark, my CX5 has now done 4,500 miles since new so hopefully I won't need to do anything other than have the car serviced (and of course the oil changed) in August.

Richard

Offline Monkeyhanger

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:49 pm »
Had this problem myself with a 2.2 diesel sport nav manual 175ps, at the time the vehicle was driving multiple short journeys of less than five miles. To my surprise the oil level was increasing over time.
After reading the manual properly and doing some internet research it became clear that diesel CX5 is not ideal for this type of driving. Multiple short journeys trigger forced regeneration of the DPF  which can result in unburnt diesel finding it's way into the sump. At 7000 miles and 6 months the oil level had exceeded the x mark on the dipstick, I had the oil changed as advised in the owners manual.
Further research revealed that in the early days of this engine in Mazda 6 and CX5 this was a big problem resulting in a software update to reduce forced DPF regenerations. My advice would be to make sure you drive regular long runs where rpm is maintained above 2000 and check oil level monthly. It might be wise to change oil routinely every 6000miles in any case as oil diluted by diesel is bound to loose lubricating efficiency resulting in premature engine wear. If you only do short runs buy a petrol. The advice sheet from my previous post came from an Australian website. Hope this helps
Note I have now replaced my manual CX5 with an automatic due to gear lever vibration problems see post under ' rattle'.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:52:37 pm by Monkeyhanger »
Dave

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:54 pm »
My car's 14 months old, and has done 18500 miles. Last serviced at 9500 miles which is when I got it back in May 2014.

All well until yesterday when I got a very scary 'low oil pressure, engine damage possible, stop and check oil' type message. Was close to home to managed to get there with my heart in my mouth, and checked the oil. Very high, way above the X that marks the 'change oil' scenario.

Spoke to the local dealer this morning who advised not driving the car and phone Mazda Assist. Car has now been trailered off to the dealer and I have an Insignia sitting outside from Enterprise. Service from Mazda and Enterprise very good so far.

Now waiting for the dealer to call me back.

I suspect it's the dreaded DPF pumping oil and diesel into the sump. Stupid system. Service due in a couple of months anyway so if it is needed an oil change I might get them to do the service at the same time.

Most of my journeys are short, but it has it's fair share of 120-200 mile motorway and A road trips, hence 9000 miles in 10 months.

Will keep you posted.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »
Latest position is dealer rang to say oil was high (I knew that), and that software updates were required including a recall...nice of them to mention that.

The necessary oil change was to be ?139, so I opted for an early service (?279) as it'll need one in a couple of thousand miles anyway.

Off to pick it up this afternoon, and return the hated Insignia (by comparison with the CX5 it's noisy, rough and has the most uncomfortable seat I have ever experienced in 30+ years of driving all sorts of cars).

Offline andybroadbelt@hotmail.com

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:45 pm »
I have had many issues with fuel dilution in the sump and the oil pressure light coming on etc. I have a 175bhp AWD Sport Nav and have had it back for free service every 6 months. total of 4 in two years covering 24K. I drive the SUV 50 miles every day on mainly motorway at 60-70mph. The Manufacturer has upgraded the dipstick the software etc but the problem still persists. If the oil was not changed for free I would sell the car. Everything is great with the CX 5 especially the economy . I have averaged about 44MPG in the two years. However I have had the dreaded Oil pressure up twice and only 6K after a main service. I do not believ that my driving style is the problem. The problem is that Mazda do not know what to do so they fudge the dipstick level and tweek the software but we all know that the diluted sump will just make the oil too thin to pump!! and thus this is why the warning comes up. I am part of the which Consumer group and I am now considering placing an article in the magazine. I am also a time served Diesel Engineer with a degree in Mecahnical Engineering so they have trouble pulling the wool over my eyes. I would like to know how many of you are having the same experience and what support Mazda has given you? I did not expect to purchase a car advertised for annual service or 10K to have to do it every 6months or 6K which is basically what I have been doing. I look forward to hearing from you all. Almost forgot the economy gets better as the oil thins. Maybe the only positive!!!!

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
Hi - my story as detailed above. Will keep an eye on the oil level, and interested to see where you go next with this. Keep us updated on here if you would please. Thanks

Offline andybroadbelt@hotmail.com

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
Rising Oil Levels New Recall Updates May 2015
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:52 am »
Further update to the rising Oil Issue. My Car went in to have a brake caliper issue sorted (rear near side staying on), but also the oil pressure light came on whilst driving to get the repair. I have now had 3 free oil changes by Mazda and countless supposedly updates to the ECU !!! I have only done 24K and had 5 Oil Changes. I have been informed that the Oil Filter has been modified. Not sure how , I assume made finer?? Has anyone else had this new filter?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »
My advice would be to make sure you drive regular long runs where rpm is maintained above 2000 and check oil level monthly.

Note I have now replaced my manual CX5 with an automatic due to gear lever vibration problems see post under ' rattle'.

Interesting. How are you finding being able to drive above 2000rpm with the automatic? My car is still at the running-in stage and so not being hammered but even so I can't see running above 2000rpm being feasible in the long term due to traffic volumes and even at 2000rpm it's still licking along.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Monkeyhanger

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »
Current car just had first annual service at 11000 miles ( £177.96, basically oil change and software update ), no problems with rising oil levels as most journeys in excess of 10 miles allowing adequate DPF regeneration, automatic very smooth and no problem with vibration unlike my previous manual car. Now happy with CX-5 and returning 40.5mpg. You should be able to maintain 2000 rpm at motorway speeds but auto box does allow manual selection of lower gear if necessary, although that won't do much for mpg. A good motorway run about once a month should be enough but reading other posts it seems oil dilution is a big problem for some cars. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:53:27 pm by Monkeyhanger »
Dave

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »