Author Topic: Do you know where your dip beam headlight switch is ?  (Read 31956 times)

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
Re: Do you know where your dip beam headlight switch is ?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 11:47:30 am »
Hi Deeps

Thanks for the reply, as it was 'her nibs' who started this discussion and knowing her well it would almost certainly be a 'wobbly box' as I can't see her doing without her little 'home from home' additions. In all the years we've been married she has never slummed it in any way shape or form and I can't see her changing unless I want a one way trip underground with a 'lots of earth' blanket.

I have looked at the HYmers and they are a fabulous bit of kit but 'petticoat rules' have effectively ruled them out

Me, so long as I can lay my head on a pillow I wouldn't worry, but there again I have done just that in some very strange places ( Aircraft Hangar ) for one with another 600 blokes for company. Nissen Huts which the army declared unfit for service personnel but we got 'em. Tents which were leakproof ( Not ) backseats of cars, vans , Trucks and Busses.

My 'Piece de resistance'in my 'Yoof' was a wooden slatted Pub Table/bench combo which I passed out on after having one to many beers and fell asleep with my head over one end, my feet over the other and apparently holding onto the umbrella stand in the middle. Yes you guessed it , it rained and all my pals were in the pub watching me getting a slow but sure shower until my entire back was soaked through.

Fared better than my other pal who they'd also thoughtfully left sitting on his bum bolt upright but protected by small conifers in pots either side of him, now, he got soaked all over so when we both came around all we got offered was the boot of the car to go back home in. I believe we uttered the word B******s  quite a few time to the sounds of muffled laughter from the rest sitting comfortably warm dry in the cabin.

So you can see I have lived a little but it's coming back to haunt me now with arthritis setting in thanks to my past 'live it up' lifestyle.

Oh by the way if you see a 1966 Sunbeam Imp Sport fully race prepped in JCB yellow with the worlds loudest exhaust over in Stuttgart that'll be my old Race car, it was bought by a lad who lives in Stuttgart itself and is currently doing it back up to race over in German Sprint and Hillclimb events next year. He can't speak much english but his friend who I am in contact with can, starnge how small the world can be sometimes.

Regards

Clarice

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 05:01:41 pm »

Me, so long as I can lay my head on a pillow I wouldn't worry, but there again I have done just that in some very strange places ( Aircraft Hangar ) for one with another 600 blokes for company. Nissen Huts which the army declared unfit for service personnel but we got 'em. Tents which were leakproof ( Not ) backseats of cars, vans , Trucks and Busses.

My 'Piece de resistance'in my 'Yoof' was a wooden slatted Pub Table/bench combo which I passed out on after having one to many beers and fell asleep with my head over one end, my feet over the other and apparently holding onto the umbrella stand in the middle. Yes you guessed it , it rained and all my pals were in the pub watching me getting a slow but sure shower until my entire back was soaked through.

Oh by the way if you see a 1966 Sunbeam Imp Sport fully race prepped in JCB yellow with the worlds loudest exhaust over in Stuttgart that'll be my old Race car

Sounds as though you enjoyed all the creature comforts of home LOL. When you've slept on top of a torpedo or in the torpedo tube itself and not forgetting laying flat out with ones head in the heads (toilet) then come back to me. Oh, and in case you're wondering - no, I'm not from Yorkshire  ;) ;) ;)

Will keep an eye out for the yellow peril.  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:28:10 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Clarice

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 09:39:34 am »
Hi Deeps,

Can't lay claim to kipping on top of Torpedoes or in Torpedo tubes, most of the smart Alec's I used to hang around with in younger days would have thought it a hoot to lock me in a tube and then fire the thing, Boy what a wake up call and around 3 feet shorter not breathing very well either.

Only time I can lay claim to going to sleep below the water line was on an Isle of Man Ferry in the 1970's ( Yes, I am that old ) when Geoff Dukes' ferry attempt hit the wall and I.O.M. Steam Packet Co. Ltd. dragged out some obsolete cans which had seen service in the war ( Boer War ) by the look of 'em

Bikes were on the top decks and we were trying to Kip in the lowest area at the Bow of the Ferry , I'd just started to nod off with the dripping sea boot socks ( It rained from the moment I got out the door at home until we got on the Ferry some 200 miles later at Liverpool ) on top of the hot pipes above when there was an almighty bang which of course roused everyone as we thought we'd been torpedoed.

'As the panic  began and the scramble to go topside was in full flow one of the ship's company told us not to worry as it was only a cross current the ship had gone through, the fun was later on when we disembarked.

Due to the cock up made in hiring these dated Ferries there were no proper disembarcation ladders or slipways available just long thick timber planks which were about 6 inches wide for the bikers to get off the ferry onto the dockside, so you can imagine with the rise and fall of the Ferry it was either 3 feet up or 3 feet down from the dock wall so you had to choose very carefully when to move off, get it wrong and it was the water splash for you.

One poor sod did just that, timed it wrong when the ship was on the way down and so was he as the front wheel went off the plank and a further 10 feet to inspect the water first hand with him on the bike, still remember the scream as he did it.

Had my head down many a big white telephone in the past following the odd embrocation or five but never used one as the alternative to the pillow.

Top this though, I can lay claim to falling asleep on a moving Motorbike at night when we were coming back from the British/American races at Oulton Park back again in the 1970's. Fortunately I was the pillion on my very good mate's  Kwacker 900 which had a huge set of panniers and top box behind me otherwise Andrew would have fallen off backwards or sideways to inspect the road surface first hand, I only came to when he braked causing me to shoot forward and hit the back of his helmet with the front of mine , I distinctly woke up smartish and heard him say something like 'CANAL' I did it again someway down the road and in the interests of keeping my driver happy  not standing at the side of the road decided to put my visor up a bit to get some cold air.

Bad move at 90MPH as the visor ripped completely off my helmet leaving me with a 100 mile trip with freezing wind hitting me smack in the mush but it did wake me up PERMANENTLY. As we arrived home and got off the bike my mate was laughing at my face, having a white smattering all over it , frosted up eyebrows, ice where the tears had been onto my skin. Had to borrow Mum's face cream for a few weeks afterwards to stop the stinging

Needless to say the helmet got binned soon afterwards and I got one with a visor that was integral to the helmet ( Cheap don't pay ) Oh! and I still got frosted up on other occasions as well in other areas.

Would you say we are even ?

Clarice

Offline Deeps

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 04:03:38 pm »

Would you say we are even ?

Not by a long chalk  :) although I can't help but wonder which one of these fines fellas you are. https://youtu.be/iEIApUNVBKg
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Clarice

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »
You were lucky,
I 'ad to remove salt from 't'sea five hours before I got up an then 'ad to be thrashed wit' belt covered in thorns for 25 hours before I went to work for 8 days int' week for a crust of mouldy bread. When i came 'ome to't nettle bed in't open air dad would beat me wit' two broken bottles until I 'ad no skin left 'on't body 'an left me for dead two days
Kids today , don't know 'ow lucky they are to draw breath.
It were tuff in't Gloucestershire.
Northerners 'ad it easy.

Regards
Clarice

Offline Clarice

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 07:55:13 am »
Just to clarify the above I couldn't have had better parents when growing up Dad was the best and Mum was the disciplinarian and only when we'd pushed one to many buttons.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 01:28:05 pm »
Just to clarify the above I couldn't have had better parents when growing up Dad was the best and Mum was the disciplinarian and only when we'd pushed one to many buttons.
Monty Python connoisseurs would know what you meant  ;)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline sodit71

• Darwin Awards Think of them as Evolution In Action
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: Sport
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 02:08:20 pm »
Yes deeps nothing like cuddling a MK8 grease and all.
Any way back to the subject of dip switches. Rather than dipsticks!!
As much as I like my CX-5 I have been struggling to see with dipped beam on the country roads around here (rural northern France) and have had to resort to keeping high beam on a little to long on occasion, other wise 30 mph was about the safe speed for the distance I could see.  Anyway enough was enough and I dug around in the online service manual (http://www.mcx5.org/headlight_aiming-684.html) to find how to adjust my lights.  Anyway it turned out the dip beam was aimed over 6 cm too low it should have been 3 cm below the center  of the head light and was actually 9 cm.  Headlamp aim back to where it should be and these dipped Xenon's are ok.  Point being made is I do wonder how much of the ill advised high beam use is due to poorly aimed low beam?  But then again you do have the ignorant bar stewards who cannot be bothered.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:09:59 pm by sodit71 »
????????????????

Offline Deeps

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »
Yes deeps nothing like cuddling a MK8 grease and all.

O or P boats? Was Sparks on the SO5 for a while before being drafted to S101 followed by S49 (Conks) and S103, the one that ran into the back of the other lots E II Class.

Offline sodit71

• Darwin Awards Think of them as Evolution In Action
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: Sport
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »
Part 3 on S boat
????????????????

Offline Deeps

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 11:04:17 am »
Part 3 on S boat

Deep diver then eh? Nowadays the only grease/oil I get on my mits is when servicing the car, motorbike or bicycle.  ;)

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 11:04:17 am »