Author Topic: Whats the expected life of the DPF?  (Read 10567 times)

Offline oldsteel

• If it works don't fix it
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Whats the expected life of the DPF?
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:09:06 pm »
Have had my CX5 for year now and reached the 50k mile mark.Great car, apart from the engine  :(  Also just had my second round of oil pressure warning and back to the garage for an oil change and warning reset - this time it was about 8k miles since the last service/oil change. It surprised me as I thought I had been managing the DPF quite well, and it seemed recently to be doing a lot of regens, judging by the fuel consumption. In the past it has stayed in the 40mpgs following a regen, and degraded to about 38mpg after about 4-5 tankfuls, then another regen to get it back. But recently it seems to regen more frequently - due to bad fuel or is the DPF on its way out? Do the DPF's degrade with age and require more regen cycles as they get older? Do I wait for the DPF malfunction warning, or have it cleaned earlier? Has anyone had a DPF replaced, and if so what mileage?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Whats the expected life of the DPF?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:43:16 am »
Ran my first one (which had the soft camshaft issue causing turbo failure) to 72K miles and the second to 68K and never had to replace the dpf on either.

Alan

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:20:12 am »
I would have thought it reasonable to expect between 80 - 100.000 miles although there can be no definite answer to this question as there are so many variables i.e. quality of fuel used (I always use either Shell V Power or Aral Ultimate), type or journey's and how often or not regens are interrupted. Before even considering having a DPF replaced I personally would look into having it professionally cleaned - not cheap but costs a lot less than a new filter.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:07:28 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:53:35 am »
(I always use either Shell V Power)

Ditto...