Author Topic: AWD and snow  (Read 12399 times)

Offline Huxie

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
AWD and snow
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:51:55 pm »
Given the current rates of snowfall in parts of the UK, I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to test the AWD capabilities of the CX-5 and would care to share their experience?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
Re: AWD and snow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:13 am »
I think you'll find that this question will get moved somewhere else by the forum admin/mod. However, in reply to your question - haven't been out in the recent heavy snowfalls here in Germany this year but did have a fair old run in snow last year and all in all the handling was as to be expected. To quality that, the CX5 is not classified as an off-road vehicle but there again, I did have winter tyres mounted as our law requires so you could argue or offset one against the other. I felt far more comfortable and secure in a previously owned Mitsubishi Shogun SWD which was truly AWD when selected and on a par with a Land Rover that I too have previously driven. Set against those two vehicles - I wouldn't push my luck with the CX5 and anything other than ideal conditions should be treated with respect as with all vehicles one could argue.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Brian14

• Retired but still working hard.
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:50:19 pm »
We have 10 cm of snow on our estates roads drove uphill and out to the main road with no problems, the main roads have been gritted but therei is still some ice and snow.
Our previous cars were 2 Honda crv's and 2 X trails both were good in the snow and based on what I have experienced so far the CX5 is as good as those, no better no worse.
We live in a very hilly area several hundred feet  ASL, but this is the most snowfall for about 4 years!
Retired but still working hard.

Offline Fangface

• Transmission: Manual
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:25 am »
I live in the Highlands so snow isn't that uncommon over the winter.  Most of my driving is on main roads but I sometimes need to go off the beaten track to do surveys etc and so far the car has coped really well.  I even took it into a car park that was on an incline and had 6 inches of snow lying untouched - it coped without an issue even going uphill although the car park was far from untouched by the time I had finished playing!

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12:28 am »
Having had a CX5 since 2012, I've had the chance to put it through it's paces a bit in lots of conditions.

My conclusion is, yes, it's a capable car in the snow. But it's capability is far more dependent on the tyres than the car itself. IMHO, the OEM Toyo tyres are pretty useless in the snow. The Michelin Latitudes, I currently have are a lot better. If I could justify it (and was sure it wouldn't interfere with the TPMS system), I'd have a separate set of wheels with winter tyres fitted...

Alan

Offline twabrigs

• Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:28:13 am »
I agree with Alan, from my limited experience of driving it in snow. I didn't like the Toyos at all. I'd like winter tyres but can't justify the expense.

Be interested to know whether Brian or Fang are on winter tyres, Toyos or something else?

Offline Brian14

• Retired but still working hard.
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:56:33 am »
I agree with Alan, from my limited experience of driving it in snow. I didn't like the Toyos at all. I'd like winter tyres but can't justify the expense.

Be interested to know whether Brian or Fang are on winter tyres, Toyos or something else?

Toyo Proxes are fitted since new 21000 miles and still good, As I said this is the first snow in our area for 4 years so my reply is based on limited driving with the CX5 in the snow.
                                                                  Brian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:11:02 pm by Willpower »
Retired but still working hard.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:36 am »

Toyo Proxes are fitted since new 21000 miles and still good, As I said this is the first snow in our area for 4 years so my reply is based on limited driving with the CX5 in the snow.
                                                                  Brian

I have kept with the same tyres that came with the car and have found them fine in my experience.  I have done 30,000 now and just kept the same type when replacing them and so far so good. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:12:52 pm by Willpower »

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:36 pm »
If I could justify it (and was sure it wouldn't interfere with the TPMS system), I'd have a separate set of wheels with winter tyres fitted...
My 64 plate should have 19 inch wheels but I've swapped them for a set of 17 inch (with taller profile tyres), with no issues whatsoever.  The TPMS on mine works via the ABS sensors, I'm pretty sure the facelift version is the same (but not the new 2017 version).

Offline twabrigs

• Year: 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:47 pm »
All helpful info, thanks guys

Mazda CX-5 Forums