Author Topic: Big Decision  (Read 18286 times)

Offline Alasdair

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Big Decision
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:43:42 pm »
My future purchase is going to be a CX-5 2016. My mileage is very low 4k per annum, I am not concerned about fuel costs. My concern is do I get a two wheel drive manual Petrol or should I go for the automatic AWD top of the range diesel. Pity the don't do an AWD automatic petrol. I have never been a big fan of diesel but when I had a test drive in the new CX-5 diesel I have to admit I was very impressed, things have moved on a bit since my old days. My Partner has a new 2016 Petrol Mazda Sport 2, she Is very impressed, this is her fourth Mazda, I noticed a big difference between the Mazda 2 and her new one, I noticed this with the new CX-5.
Any advice fully appreciated

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: Big Decision
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:23 am »
IF your 4000 miles consists of mainly long journeys then the diesel really is a much better car to drive with all that torque at low revs and if you would like AWD then you need a diesel. If you do lots of short trips to shops and school etc then the diesel probably wont perform well as it needs to run fairly hot and they take a while to get up to temp and you will also probably have problems with the DPF, so then you will need a petrol. I understand the some with petrols are not getting too bad an mpg from petrol but with the bulk(height and size) of a CX5 they really do need that torque and power delivery of the diesel.

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:20:26 am »
Go test drive both, but i choose petrol due to same mileage as yourself, we do short trips like less than a mile daily, the 4 year old still good, as with every petrol versus diesel its how you drive it, petrol engine will run with higher revs but i have no problem keeping up with the flow of traffic, being in the correct gear and rev range for the same. That said if i was towing or doing lots of mileage daily then diesel should be your choice. But at end of day its your choice thats why i said to test drive both you might like one over the other.Hope this helps
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline cmp999

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:42:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm also a new owner of a CX 5 sport nav fwd 2.2 diesel. I'm very interested in the discussions about petrol v diesel, low miles, dpf problems, diesel in engine oil and so on. I have always owned petrol cars this is my 1st diesel, I went for a test drive and was pleasantly surprised how well it pulls and also how diesels have moved on since I last sat in one.

I have moved over from a Nissan 370z, so a big change for me, high powered 2 seater sports car to an suv. I read the reviews about the CX 5 and all seemed good, after placing my order I then started reading the problems that some people have had.

I have a few questions, what is classed as a short journey?
How long does it take for the engine/exhaust to reach the correct operating temperature? my Nissan had a water and oil temperature guage, all I have found on the Mazda is the blue light which goes off after a short while.

I know that I will have plenty of other questions as time goes on and thank you for any advice that I receive.

Just to add, people recommend petrol cars for short journeys, I had a car previous to the Nissan which was used on short journeys. When it was 3 years old it went for a service, it needed new discs and pads all around. It also needed part of the exhaust changing along with a couple of other issues. The mechanic put it down to short journeys, have you ever seen how much water comes out of a modern car when it is cold, this settles in the exhaust if the car does not get hot. The brakes went for the same reason, you get a build up of dust/crud. This is normally burnt off as the brakes get hot on longer journeys, again this does not happen on short journeys. Ever since then my cars get a decent run out on the motorway or good roads.

Cheers, Colin. 

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »

How long does it take for the engine/exhaust to reach the correct operating temperature?

You might find this video of interest, Colin, although I suggest fast forwarding on occasions. https://youtu.be/84WzcUxVWnk

Also read the first part of post #1 here http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=347.0 which gives additional advice regarding temperatures.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:12:17 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline rmvf

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:16:45 pm »
Alright Colin,  I would class a short journey as getting from A to B before the blue cold light goes out but also anything under 5 mile, I can remember reading something about how short journey,s aren't really good for any cars but it was a good while ago, the time for the light going out will vary due to ambient temp and also if it's a petrol or diesel,  Our warms up really quickly and can normally get the light out by the time I've left the village, reference brake issue you mentioned daily use will keep discs in better condition our 2012 still look like new, got a service and mot next week so will pm you with results,. Harsh or heavy braking when cold isn't good for disc I've known other makes have warped discs. I also give my brakes a good jet wash or hose out and you get to see the brake dust wash out also strains the drive,lol, hope this helps

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:15:59 pm »
I would say a short journey is anything less than 5-8 miles, but if you have a long drive on motorways/a roads regularly then that should be ok. I think the blue light going out on cx5's is just to provide a feel good for the driver along with moving the x further up the dipstick when everyone was worried about diesel in the oil. A diesel engine cannot possibly be fully up to temperature in the few minutes it takes for my blue light to go out as diesel engines dont generate a lot of heat burning fuel, just torque and power.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:37:46 pm »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline cmp999

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:01 pm »
Thank you for the advice, enjoying the car and will make sure that it gets plenty of long runs!!!!!!!!

Offline rmvf

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 07:41:39 am »
F pace only starts with the 180ps engine i believe, you have to pay a lot more for extra power.

Electric cars have huge torque from a start up, even the cheap version of tesla goes to 0-60 under 6 secs.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:58 pm »
Yeah I saw one a scotch corner before Xmas,  massive screen in middle of dashboard, also saw James may drive one on TV,  to keep on topic are tesla bringing out a SUV then?, I was contemplating  a lexus Nx but thought the boot was too small for big dogs, also extra 4k over our sport nav.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:58 pm »