Author Topic: Oil Burners to go!!!  (Read 16963 times)

Offline Alasdair

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Oil Burners to go!!!
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:50:58 am »
Thank God that Mazda are now phasing out the oil burners. Bring on the petrol looking forward to the new Mazda CX-5 2.5 ltr when they start arriving mid 2017. As Diesel prices rise and restriction on where you can go with a diesel vehicle I feel very sorry with new owners who have been conned into thinking buying a Mazda diesel is good.  I note generally that the second hand market for diesel vehicles is on the way down. 

Offline ColinX-5

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: Oil Burners to go!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 06:47:13 am »
I realy love my diesel CX5 which is my 6th diesel, but I think my next will have to be petrol  :'( I dread to think about the trade in price  :'(

Offline ROCKETRON

• Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 02:51:26 pm »
Where have you got this info from? I still feel that the diesel torque makes the cars much better to drive than petrol models,although the new breed of turbo petrols will improve them a bit. I still much prefer driving a diesel car and will probably get a diesel as my next car. I may lease though and then if in 3/4 years time nobody wants them i can just hand it back. I cant see it happening though as cars that are good to drive with good performance and effortless cruising coupled with very good fuel consumption are always going to find buyers unless roAD tax is put up by a lot.

Offline Alasdair

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:57:33 pm »
Where have you got this info from? I still feel that the diesel torque makes the cars much better to drive than petrol models,although the new breed of turbo petrols will improve them a bit. I still much prefer driving a diesel car and will probably get a diesel as my next car. I may lease though and then if in 3/4 years time nobody wants them i can just hand it back. I cant see it happening though as cars that are good to drive with good performance and effortless cruising coupled with very good fuel consumption are always going to find buyers unless roAD tax is put up by a lot.

We have a Mazda 2 Sport 2016 Petrol and I drive a Volvo XC60 T5 Petrol which has a 2 ltr 4 cylinder turbo,d. My mileage per annum is under 5k so a diesel is no good for my driving. I have tried the CX-5 petrol which can only be obtained in two wheel drive so as I have owned  Volvo's for many years I thought I would give the petrol CX-5 a drive together with the Diesel and must admit the diesel was a better drive. I have been very impressed with the reviews of the 2.5 Ltr CX-5 just a pity they will not be in the UK until the end of 2017. It also appears that a number of manufacturers are giving up on diesel including Volvo. Not quite sure how this works with commercial vehicles. In Coventry the London Taxi Company is turning out hundred of vehicles for the London Market. I wonder if they will ever cure the Nitrous Oxide problem which causes cancer.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:47:27 am »
Is that just you saying that a number of manufacturers are giving up on diesel or have you read that somewhere.

Offline Alasdair

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:31:27 am »
It may be worth just Googling the situation with Diesels. It appears to get very confusing. There does not appear to be a clear answer but one comment has been that diesels will be phased out for the cheaper end of the market. No diesels to be allowed in London, Paris, Berlin and other cities. I don'nt think that anybody has the correct answer accept that it will be us who suffer for the mistakes of Gordon Brown pushing the use of diesels. Does not seem to effect Jaguar, Mercedes, and all other top brands. I wonder what is really going on.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 11:29:36 am »
In your first post you say ....

Thank God that Mazda are now phasing out the oil burners.

I think what Rocketron is trying to establish is. Have you seen something written somewhere, that states that Mazda are actually phasing out diesels? 

Or is this just wishful thinking on your part ?

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »
Personally I think each to their own though I have never had a diesel and never will.
What I find really annoying is....You want a test drive or to have a look at one in the showroom...always diesel, I don't bother buying car magazines these past few years as virtually every test car is a diesel.
The vast majority of cars that I like the look of (SUV/ Estates) the top models are diesel or 4X4 isn't available on Petrol variants ( BMW 340i...no X drive in this country, X3...no petrol, Passat...no petrol, even CX5...no 4X4 with petrol in this country, to name just a few, though there is a trickle of decent powered 4X4 petrols appearing (without paying silly money of course)....Skoda Superb estate 280 4X4, Seat Cupra ST 300 4X4 coming soon.
The ideal thing would be to move to the States or Australia....unfortunately they don't have a free for all like this country!!
Just my humble opinion....would be nice to have choice that's all, rather than being dictated to.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:24:13 pm »
The cars usually offered for test drives tend to be diesel because 1) thats what most people want and 2) the cars drive better because of the higher torque available at lower revs and so impress more than a petrol that tend to have to be revved hard to get any pulling power at all. Also 4x4 cars tend to only be diesel as they need an engine with extra torque to pull the extra weight of 4x4 equipment and also to counter the usually un aerodynamic shape of lots of 4x4's.
I think Gordon Brown was only given the information that CO2 causes greenhouse gasses and so incentivise cars with lower co2,which happen to be diesels and so he loweredf roadd tax on them. At the time nobody was talking about nitrous oxide.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 03:12:26 pm »
No diesels to be allowed in London, Paris, Berlin and other cities.

It's statements like this which only serve to muddy the waters further. You personally may not be to blame of course although the source of the information certainly is and I for one would be interested to hear from where you sourced this information.

I can only state what I know regarding Berlin and Paris as I live over in Europe but to the best of my knowledge, which is in line with everything that I have read regarding this matter to date, is that older diesel cars will be prohibited from entering the city confines and by older what is being referred to is vehicles conforming to the Euro 4 standard and earlier. I think simple logic alone dictates that it would be nigh on impossible to put a blanket ban on ALL diesel vehicles as there are far too many of them and even the quoted 2030 phase out is considered to be rather optimistic/unrealistic by many in the motor industry.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Alasdair

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 11:53:42 pm »
So If was to buy a CX-5 diesel new how many miles per week would I need to run the engine to stop it having problems.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:54 am »
Its not really down to total miles but the type of miles driven. If you do lots of short runs then a modern diesel with a dpf is not suitableb but if you do some good long runs with the engine nice and hot then a diesel is good. The latest eu6 engines do run pretty clean but unfortunately most of the diesels in the city are older cars and vans and in London particularly the buses some of which are 15-20 years old and i wouldnt like to think what is coming out of their tailpipes.

Offline RAB2000

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:48 am »
Having come from a Focus 2.0 TDCi to CX-5 2.0 petrol and having now been on a decent trip you can feel the difference at speed.  Once up to speed on the motorway the Focus could be left in 6th gear and generally had all the pulling power you'd ever need.  With the petrol CX-5 left in top gear it's sluggish in comparison which generally I accept rather than changing down.  So you could say the diesel is more 'effortless'.  So I guess the same comparison can be felt between diesel and petrol CX-5s.

Interestingly I find round town the petrol CX-5 is fine, plenty of go without having to rev it.  I suspect it's also quieter and more refined at low speed than the diesel.  I'm no speed merchant though!

Given my annual mileage is only 4-5k then petrol was the best option for me this time round.  What I did notice is that the petrol CX-5s appear to be priced at a premium (£1k?) over the equivalent diesels, even though the diesels were perhaps £1k more to buy new.  I suspect this is down to the fact that there's 4 times as many diesels on the 2nd hand market than petrols yet people like me are actively seeking them out as there's not a lot of many good petrol options in cars like the CX-5 at the moment.

I think more petrol options are now appearing in the form of small turbos but I do wonder whether these may end up having their own issues down the line.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:48 am »