Author Topic: Electronic hand brake  (Read 32655 times)

Offline rmvf

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
Electronic hand brake
« on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »
Booked in for dealer to check seems to be sticking on a little too long on one side causing car to lurch can be quite bad at times but feel it's more apparent when on hills than flat, I'm guessing that's just due to weight transfer during release,l'm interested if anyone else has had this problem or knows what the issue is.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline rmvf

Re: Electronic hand brake
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:50 pm »
ok been in today, control module requires changing part on order, they had a vehicle in the day before with same issue but affecting opposite side so not first time fault.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »
Control module changed out took about 1 1/2 hrs, centre console required removing, seems to have fixed the fault, handbrake release much faster and not holding on whilst clutch bite is occurring. Dealership took a video during process this seems to be the next new thing in customer service.

Offline TimD67

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:56:58 pm »
Had exactly the same issue, handbrake does seem to come off (light goes out) but drivers side rear brake does not disengage, as you say only happens when you pull away a bit quicker or on a hill. Garage were a bit skeptical until I physically showed them the issue and then tried to re-create it in one of their cars, which of course I couldn't. Booked in for a fix next week so we will see what they do.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:03:06 pm »
Mazda are aware of the problem they have issued a notice bulletin,  don't get fobbed off, you will require the same course of action. Ours is now not only sorted but better than when we took delivery of the car ( new ) ?

Offline TimD67

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:32:44 pm »
Mazda are aware of the problem they have issued a notice bulletin,  don't get fobbed off, you will require the same course of action. Ours is now not only sorted but better than when we took delivery of the car ( new ) ?

Thanks think I will give the garage a call, they told me on Sunday that there was not notice bulletin. But then they also told me that you have to take the hand brake off manually!!

Offline rmvf

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »
Yes that's what we did operate manually till it went in to be fixed, not nice operating it in auto when it shunts car as it did.

Offline cmp999

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
Electronic handbrake/TPMS
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »
Hi,

The TPMS warning has come on several times over the past week but no problems with the tyre pressure.

Yesterday whilst pulling away from traffic lights the electronic handbrake also failed to release properly. It felt to release on one side sooner than the other. I did notice a post lower down from someone who has had a similar problem, thing is it did it a couple of times and then it was ok.

I have just booked it into the dealers for them to check it, they seem to think that the pads are sticking and need replacing. something I doubt as it is a 2016 CX5 with 10k on the clock, a mixture of motorway and town driving.

There was mention in the other post of a Technical service bulletin from Mazda about this fault, I can't find it online.

Has anyone else had the same problem and how was it resolved?

TIA Cheers, Colin

Offline kiakid2

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
A new caliper, brake pad set, seal kit and replacement disc is what you need to fix it properly!     

If this link below works, if not search the web for "New Calipers at 7,800 Miles! " - further down in the posts you can view the TSB although its not the latest version which is I believe RO52/16D

https://ww.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860702-New-Calipers-at-7-800-Miles!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:07:20 am by Willpower »

Offline cmp999

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:31 pm »
Thank you for that kiakid2, I shall print the bulletin and take it to the dealers!

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:53:48 pm »
I mentioned at the last service at the end of July that the EPB was sticking on a bit on my car when pulling away sometimes. I couldn't say if it was affecting one side more than the other, just that the car wouldn't move off when it should. They checked it out and told me about the TSB prescribing new rear callipers. They were fitted on Monday this week. Early days but the problem hasn't re-occurred yet. Fingers crossed!

Offline cmp999

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:09 am »
Thanks for that Ant, my dealer has not been that helpful, after kiakid2 posted the TSB I followed it up.

I phoned Mazda UK, Customer services checked with the Technical department, they confirmed that our car fell into the category and more than likely this was the fault. Customer services said that the dealership would probably have the parts needed in stock as they should be also aware of the TSB.

I then phoned my dealership back and explained everything to them, they were not interested. They said that I have to take the car in, they have to diagnose the problem. Make a report, take photo's and send this to Mazda who then decide if it's warranty. They are not willing to pre order the parts as they say that they will be charged and have to keep them if not needed. This statement I do not believe from my past experiences, I have emailed Mazda UK just to check.

It looks like a trip to the dealers on Saturday, they want the car all morning to diagnose the problem, no doubt I will then have to re-book it in once they have ordered the parts and spend another day without the car.

It wouldn't be so bad but the car is only 18 month old, 10k on the clock. It's been in on 4 times for issues with the infotainment system, updates and a new module. then we had the boot struts replaced, now brake issues.

I just think dealerships should be a little more helpful, at the end of the day they are not doing it for free, Mazda will be paying the bill.

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:56 pm »
I agree about dealers being more helpful. Surely its common sense that if you keep a customer happy, they are far more likely to return and spend another bunch of money on a car with you? I know they don't like warranty work as the margins are much less and they make little, if anything out of it.

I managed to coincide the checks for all of my warranty issues (3 now, headlamps, tailgate struts and rear brakes) with service visits - none of them were serious enough to warrant a separate visit (although I had to return for the actual work on the headlamps and brakes to be done as they didn't have the parts in stock). I'm also lucky that the dealership is only about a mile from where I work so I drop the car off and walk to the office.

I think the TSB for the brakes specifies some checks that they need to do to diagnose the problem which I guess is why they want the car in first before agreeing the work.

Offline rmvf

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 04:42:28 am »
I mentioned at the last service at the end of July that the EPB was sticking on a bit on my car when pulling away sometimes. I couldn't say if it was affecting one side more than the other, just that the car wouldn't move off when it should. They checked it out and told me about the TSB prescribing new rear callipers. They were fitted on Monday this week. Early days but the problem hasn't re-occurred yet. Fingers crossed!

seems to be a worrying trend for me, with more than a single problem with the EHB system. for ours it was obvious that one side was failing to release immediately resulting in quite a violent lurch when EHB operates. still ok for now but have been few times when you can just tell they don't both release at the same time.

Offline cmp999

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:47 pm »
Well, I took the car into the dealers, they carried out tests and diagnostics and the results. There is a problem with the electronic handbrake not releasing but they can't find any problems with the TPMS.

I again went through the TSB that kiakid2 had provided, I also explained to the dealer that from the information that I had gathered from the forum that TPMS actuation maybe linked to the handbrake fault.

Either way he didn't seem too happy to be told what the issues may be, they have completed a report along with photos and sent it off to Mazda, I now await the outcome!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:47 pm »