Author Topic: Wi-Fi hotspot - some info pls (Nav users only, not related to bluetooth issues)  (Read 68461 times)

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Changelog for .513:

Fixes: - can not switch to navigation window -
 no voiceprompts for Polish navi -
old outdated traffic is Displayed on map (when additional services are activated) -
 when maintenance interval is reset incorrect mileage is shown -

oil change countdown stops at some value and does not change -
when in ACC mode oil change due warning message is Displayed with wrench icon -
when regular maintenance timer is reset wrong initial mileage is Displayed BUGS fixed (not for Mazda 3): -
 issues with navi window (freeze) -

wrong time is shown When the engine is started -
external device bluetooth connection issues -
 car location accuracy is improved -
 wrong traffic load is Displayed -

system is rebooted When language is changed -
 navi or any other window freezes or cmu reboots -
 USB / SD card is not Recognised -
 navi turns off and the screen

I won't be changing from 511 as i have no issues at the moment, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:43:42 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Still persisting with the wi-fi issue and its now looking increasing likely that the fault isn't with the car (which now has a connection system like Triggers broom  ::)). Equally, its not the phone itself. I can connect the car wi-fi to fixed land based networks without any issue and the system remembers them and logs in automatically when in range.

It now appears that the issue may be with the phone network itself! As mentioned above, I have a HTC One M9 - Mazda UK have proved that works OK on Vodafone. However, I'm on O2... Now it seems that there is a known issue with the Mercedes equivalent system with O2; something to do with tethering restrictions. This now seems to be the likely culprit, so am now awaiting assistance from our phone provider and O2. Watch this space...

Alan

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Hi all

Should be getting my new CX5 in August. At the moment I've got the Tom Tom with live updates etc. Does anyone know how much data the Wi-Fi hotspot uses on say an hours journey? I can then work out if I need to change my phone plan as at the moment myself and my wife have 250MB per month each. (Yes I know it's a pittance nowadays but I tend to use my phone as a phone and not a portable computer)

When my wife's with me in the car we could use her data allowance and when I'm on my own I could use my data allowance. Does this all look feasible? I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 updated to Android 6 and my wife has an S2 on Android 4.2 (No further updates now on this one  :-\)

Cheers

Jonno21
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline xtrailman

Mazda say around 30mb a month, to be honest i find the system inconvenient, but at least mine works, although both my mobiles will now not connect again via bluetooth.

My last Mazda, having had issues with two now i will not be buying another.
Every Time the BT unit is changed i lose all my stored nav locations.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Year: 2019

Thanks for the information Xtrailman. I hope I don't encounter the issues you have. To be honest the Tom Tom and Live Traffic have behaved faultlessly for me. Just wish they had updated to the larger screen and to higher resolution maps and included map updates and Live traffic for free. What I will insist upon with the dealer is that they update the firmware to version 513 (or later if there is a new version by the time of delivery) during the PDI.

Cheers

Jonno21
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline xtrailman

Thanks for the information Xtrailman. I hope I don't encounter the issues you have. To be honest the Tom Tom and Live Traffic have behaved faultlessly for me. Just wish they had updated to the larger screen and to higher resolution maps and included map updates and Live traffic for free. What I will insist upon with the dealer is that they update the firmware to version 513 (or later if there is a new version by the time of delivery) during the PDI.

Cheers

Jonno21

For a change upgrading the software has sorted out my phone issue.

They were working ok on version 511, so i didn't bother with 512 or 513, after the second phone failed to connect  this afternoon(the first one failed around 3 week ago), i decided to upgrade to 513 and all is well again.

How long is another question.

Offline BigAl

Updating mine to 513 has made no difference to the wi-fi hotspot connection; it will connect but has to be entered as a new hotspot every time, unless its just a few hours since the last successful connection. It seems now that mine may be a network issue rather than the phone/car; there's a similar issue happening with Mercedes equivalent live system and O2 apparently. I can save fixed wi-fi networks at home and work which connect automatically as you start up to leave or drive up to them. It's just the phone's hotspot that won't. Mazda Dartford have successfully got the same phone with the same OS to work OK, but on Orange rather than O2.

Alan

Offline BigAl

Well, here's part of an e-mail received from Mazda today. The interesting part is in the second paragraph...

I apologise that the issue with the wifi hotspot connection is still ongoing, I can appreciate this must be frustrating. Considering the difficulties caused I can reimburse the cost of the 3 years live services. Please kindly send a copy of the invoice for the purchase to the above email address, along with the bank account number and sort code we can make payment to.

Please be assured we have taken on board the issues raised. We are currently working on a software update which will mean traffic updates are available via MZD without the use of a wifi hotspot. We are expecting to see this update around the end of October.

Alan

Offline ColinX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
WOW  that sounds really good  :D I will defiantly sign up when that happens, I was so unhappy with it during the 60 days trial that I hadn't bothered. Have been using a Tomtom 6100 instead.

Offline Alex

• Retired and loving it. Every day is a Saturday!
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Year: 2017
I'm interested to see if anyone has found the "Live Traffic" to be a success, I've already had notice that my 60 days is due to expire, but to date I'm not convinced it is any good. I haven't checked cost to renew and may not be value for money.

I've set my phone as a "Hotspot" and an icon shows accordingly at the top of the screen, but that is hidden by an information bar as soon as you set a journey. I get notifications of delays where there are none, I fail to get warnings when there are delays.

1) M5 Southbound the other day, told me to take a diverted route to avoid traffic. The diversion was leave M5 at J18, rejoin the same junction (M5 J18) and it actually showed that silly little 200 yard loop on the screen. When I got to J18 no traffic, but the screen showed queuing traffic. Ten miles further on at J21 there was a queue of traffic leaving the motorway for Weston-Super-Mare but road was shown as clear.

2) The journey I set yesterday to a golf course, A30 CLOSED between Yeovil and Sherborne - sign posted diversion in place. No mention at all on the sat-nav. Refused to give me an alternative journey, I followed the diversion signs and throughout the diversion it tried to turn me round. I missed one turn for the diversion due to the sign having blown over but I was still being told I had to turn around. I pulled in after 7 or 8 miles of driving off my original chosen route, cleared the journey and put it in again as a new journey; still insisted I needed to go back and take the closed road which by then was miles off my route.

When I finally got to the other end by using common sense I mentioned the road closure and was told been like it for over a week. Others who drove there told me their TomToms and Garmins had advised them the road was closed and plotted an alternative route.

Journey home, set to Home, once again insisted I take the closed road, so I ignored and I set an alternative which it managed to accept.

Approaching the M5 queue of stationary traffic on A358 for 4 miles, sat there at least 20 minutes - Not A Word!

Finally joined the M5 relatively clear and about 3 miles up the motorway I'm told there is a queue - Nothing!

Come off at J24 Bridgwater, queue all the way into the town (5.20 pm so always a busy time) took half an hour to get to some traffic lights at the head of the queue and still no mention of delays.

In each case I ensured my phone was set as a hot-spot.

Have made an appointment with my dealer.

The thing is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

I will say Tomtom despite the failings in 2012/13 was good.
If it wasn't for pick-pockets & frisking at airports, I'd have no sex life at all .................Rodney Dangerfield.

Offline CX-Fiver

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
You're absolutely right - it's rubbish. I'd cancel the appointment with your dealer though as it's nothing they can fix. It's a software issue, not hardware.  :-(

Offline BigAl

That's prompted me to e-mail Mazda regarding the e-mail they sent me (mentioned above) dated 22/09/16, as -several updates later - no sign of that function appearing.

I'd be very interested to know if ANYONE has managed to use the hotspot and live update system successfully?

Alan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:16:54 am by BigAl »

Offline Alex

• Retired and loving it. Every day is a Saturday!
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Year: 2017
You're absolutely right - it's rubbish. I'd cancel the appointment with your dealer though as it's nothing they can fix. It's a software issue, not hardware.  :-(

I've decided I'll waste my time by attending a visit with the dealership in order to raise a ticket. The more of these incidents that are highlighted the greater notice Mazda will take.

They listened to me on my old CK5 with the TomTom issues and hopefully they will consider my input as positive feedback.

Hopefully I can become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
If it wasn't for pick-pockets & frisking at airports, I'd have no sex life at all .................Rodney Dangerfield.

Mazda CX-5 Forums