Audio & Visual Section > Interior Modifications

Ambient Lighting project

<< < (3/3)

rmvf:

Cheers :) I thought about adding red LEDs to the footwell as more ambient lighting but want to gauge how bright this will be first.
[/quote]

Richard i have the footwell lighting in red but they only come on when the doors open, i put this on after the red illuminated sill strips Richard are you planning of putting LED lighting into the central storage box, Reason why I'm asking is when we drive in the dark it's hard to see in it without switching on a over head light. I'm thinking  of doing this and also using my my sunglasses storage for ambient LED, I'm going to speak to a friend first but once I go ahead I will post and photobucket the pics.

RichardCX5:

--- Quote from: Ant on September 06, 2016, 11:00:51 pm ---Thanks for answering my questions Richard - very helpful for when I find some time to have a look at this myself. It seems I'll need to source a new strap for the A pillar though.

--- End quote ---

The workshop manual guide to removing the A-pillar trim states the trim piece has to be cut and replaced, but if you were careful you might be able to remove it without cutting it - I guess Mazda want it replacing to make sure it'll be behave as it should in the event of the airbag going off. Anyway, here's a picture of it so you know what you're looking for;

I haven't been able to find a UK seller of them based on the part number D651-68-162 so it might be a US one, I don't know whether we use different numbering systems.

--- Quote from: Ant on September 06, 2016, 11:00:51 pm ---On recessing the LEDs in the overhead console, would you actually need a tube as such? If you could bond a small piece of scrap plastic that is thick enough to the back of the panel and drill the mounting hole through that, you could presumably position the LED so that the flat end was flush with or slightly below the console surface?

--- End quote ---

The panel being curved makes it challenging to come up with a decent solution, but my thoughts were that finding a small piece of 'pipe' that is the same diameter as the LED means it could be sunken into it - but yes a piece of plastic glued on and then drilled through would achieve that too. Once I've found how to source the trim piece I can perhaps order a few and experiment with them!
So far though it would appear as if I'll have to order a whole new overhead console just for that one piece, though it is the same as in the Mazda 6.

--- Quote from: rmvf on September 07, 2016, 07:46:35 pm ---Richard i have the footwell lighting in red but they only come on when the doors open, i put this on after the red illuminated sill strips Richard are you planning of putting LED lighting into the central storage box, Reason why I'm asking is when we drive in the dark it's hard to see in it without switching on a over head light. I'm thinking  of doing this and also using my my sunglasses storage for ambient LED, I'm going to speak to a friend first but once I go ahead I will post and photobucket the pics.

--- End quote ---

They sound like good ideas; if I remember tonight I'll take a picture of how my setup lights up the storage box; it's more of a gentle glow over the whole area as opposed to directed light. I thought about an LED in the cupholder as something flashy but it'd have to be a very dimmed LED or it'd look ridiculous! Once I've lived with the current setup for a few weeks I'll decide what to do as a permanent solution which may well include one small red LED above each footwell for ambient lighting, though again it needs to be dimmed so as not to be distracting.

rmvf:
Just a update Richard i going to put LED in the centre storage area like you have and in the storage box aswell, I've binned the overhead idea ( sunglasses box ) but have two more LED strips and haven't decided where to put them yet I will move them about in the dark to see where best effect will be achieved

RichardCX5:

--- Quote from: rmvf on September 10, 2016, 05:13:10 pm ---Just a update Richard i going to put LED in the centre storage area like you have and in the storage box aswell, I've binned the overhead idea ( sunglasses box ) but have two more LED strips and haven't decided where to put them yet I will move them about in the dark to see where best effect will be achieved

--- End quote ---

Cool, for me it was best to wire into the glovebox light feed and earth next to the passenger footwell fusebox, but you can tap into the stereo dim wire. Footwell ambient lighting all the way! :)

rmvf:
All done happy with the compartment and storage in front of gear selector, but not strong enough for footwell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version