Author Topic: cx 5 spare wheel  (Read 20611 times)

Offline Sasquatch1

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
cx 5 spare wheel
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »
Hi everyone,
New to mazda and new to not having a spare. I have just purchased a 2018  cx-5 sport and am in the process of sorting the spare. I am told that although I have 19" wheels a 17" spare will be ok. I hope so as I have one on the way. ( not from Mazda). As it's not recommended to put the spare on the fronts I have gone for full size. Can anyone help with the foam surround? Where do I get the correct one or pieces or has anyone converted the puncture repair one or is that possible? Also will the bolt holding the bose in place be long enough? Also I have a friend who has bought a Mazda 2 sport 2018 and is going to do the same. Is the boot well deep enough to take a full size spare and can that foam surround be sourced. Thank you

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: cx 5 spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:59:31 pm »
welcome - check the Wheels & Tyres section there are a few threads on these questions there

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:44 am »
I bought the proper styrene inserts from Mazda but I’ve got a space saver.  You know that the floor will not fit with a full size spare right?   You’ll have to pack the floor up with cavity wall insulation.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline andyb_ie

• Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:51:53 pm »
Although a 2016 model, I ordered a 17" space saver online and ordered the Foam Inserts via Mazda. The foam wasn't very expensive. Mazda said I might need a new floor mat, the the tyre/wheel fitted fine. So just the foam was needed

Offline Brentmere

Re: CX-5 spare wheel (space saver)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:41:36 pm »
I bought a 17"spare Spacesaver for my CX-5 2016. The dealer said this was OK although my car had 19" tyres on it. The problem was that the boot floor board need a polystyrene kit to lift the floor to accommodate it. I did not think this was satisfactory so I just carried the spare in the boot.
                I have just bought a Mazda CX5 2019 Sports Nav+184 Auto AWD. I kept the 17" wheel for the new model, which has a Bose subwuffer in the Bootwell. The manual says I can remove the subwuffer fixing bolt and place the wheel there and put the subwuffer back then bolt it through to hold both in place. If anyone has tried this I would appreciate their thoughts, as not had time  to have a good look at it.

Offline aljshep

• Year: 2017
Re: CX-5 spare wheel (space saver)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 09:31:51 pm »
I bought a 17"spare Spacesaver for my CX-5 2016. The dealer said this was OK although my car had 19" tyres on it. The problem was that the boot floor board need a polystyrene kit to lift the floor to accommodate it. I did not think this was satisfactory so I just carried the spare in the boot.
                I have just bought a Mazda CX5 2019 Sports Nav+184 Auto AWD. I kept the 17" wheel for the new model, which has a Bose subwuffer in the Bootwell. The manual says I can remove the subwuffer fixing bolt and place the wheel there and put the subwuffer back then bolt it through to hold both in place. If anyone has tried this I would appreciate their thoughts, as not had time  to have a good look at it.
We had a 2015 CX-5 upgraded to 2017/18.  Bought the full kit for the first and was a bit disappointed to discover that we would need new polystyrene side pieces as the boot floor was a different shape for the later model.  Negotiated with the dealer for new side pieces and bought a longer bolt to go through the sub.  Fits no problem although the electric lead must be disconnected and reconnected.   As the top of the spare is about one inch lower than the underside of the lifting floor, we have fitted small two pieces of wood on the wheel to take the weight of any heavy loads. 

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:01:28 pm »
Yeah, I’ve done it too.  The styrene inserts weren’t expensive and I made a little extension for the bolt. I was told the other day that the genuine Mazda wheel won’t fit over the front caliper so you can only use it on the rear.  I swapped mine for a 19 inch spacesaver from Manchester Wheels and that does fit. I do wonder if it’s even worth it. In most cases the gunk would work and you’d win all that space underneath. I’ve only had this GT since Wednesday (came from a 2018) and it might be my imagination but the wheel well seems shallower.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »
I was told the other day that the genuine Mazda wheel won’t fit over the front caliper so you can only use it on the rear.

According to the regulations, you should only use a spacesaver on the rear wheels anyway.  Two reasons.

a)  The fronts are the drive axles and consequently put more power through the smaller profile tyre than it is meant to cope with. On the rears they are just trailing.
b)  Obviously the front axle is the steering axle. So once again the same reasons as above. More torsion than the tyre is designed for

The same reasons also create a third restriction, no matter where you put the spare on the car the speed should be limited to  80kph  (50 mph) They are meant for emergency use only just to get you home or to the nearest tyre supplier.
But try telling that to some of the people I see day in and day out still running on a spacesaver.   

Just saying :)

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:27 pm »
Yeah, I’ve done it too.  The styrene inserts weren’t expensive and I made a little extension for the bolt. I was told the other day that the genuine Mazda wheel won’t fit over the front caliper so you can only use it on the rear.  I swapped mine for a 19 inch spacesaver from Manchester Wheels and that does fit. I do wonder if it’s even worth it. In most cases the gunk would work and you’d win all that space underneath. I’ve only had this GT since Wednesday (came from a 2018) and it might be my imagination but the wheel well seems shallower.
Could it be to make room for the Adblue tank?
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:37:48 pm »
Could it be to make room for the Adblue tank?

I would say so Jonno.  It fitted easily in the 17 but it certainly doesn’t in this 19.

Offline Portside

• What's that switch over there for?
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 08:54:06 pm »
Hi everyone,
Like the OP I'm also new to mazda and new to not having a spare.  I have recently bought a CX-5 and it has no spare.  The car it is replacing will be scrapped, and that carries a 16" spacesaver spare in the boot, which is in as new condition.  I am contemplating keeping the 16" spacesaver from the old car and carrying it as a spare in the boot of the CX-5.  The CX-5 is the SportNav version on 19" wheels.  Seeing that a 17" spacesaver is offered for CX-5s running on 19" wheels, would a 16" spacesaver spare get you home in an emergency, or is that pushing things too far?

All the best,

Portside

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 10:42:51 am »
Hmmm, not sure. Firstly do the fixing centres and bolts even match as it's from a different vehicle? If they do, is there a difference in the overall tyre diameter (the Mazda 17 and 19 inch wheels have different tyres that make the overall diameter the same). The tyre pressure monitoring on a 2014 is based on detecting difference in wheel speed caused by loss of pressure reducing the diameter. If the overall diameters don't match, you'll likely be triggering that all the time.

Alan

Offline Portside

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 11:22:33 pm »
Thanks BigAl.  Good point about the diameters, I hope to get a chance to measure them later this week.  Both wheels have 5 bolt holes but let me see if they line up.  My presumption was that wheels and their fixings were fairly standardised and that wheels were just bought in by car manufacturers from suppliers but that's just been an assumption on my part.

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 09:28:57 am »
Thanks BigAl.  Good point about the diameters, I hope to get a chance to measure them later this week.  Both wheels have 5 bolt holes but let me see if they line up.  My presumption was that wheels and their fixings were fairly standardised and that wheels were just bought in by car manufacturers from suppliers but that's just been an assumption on my part.
There are numerous different bolt patterns & spacings (PCD) for cars, you can find out what you have here http://www.fitmentguide.co.uk/

Offline Portside

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:54 pm »
Thanks for that link, learnt a lot from that website.  Anyway, upshot is the spare from the other car won't fit as both the PCD and centre bore are different by a couple of milimetres...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:59:54 pm by Portside »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:54 pm »