Author Topic: Air Con Question  (Read 10317 times)

Offline Ryland Johsnon

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Air Con Question
« on: May 11, 2019, 04:15:32 pm »
HI and welcome. yes the soul red looks good but is a soft paint and as such does scratch easily(there were 2 cars at dealers waiting for respray,one red and other the gunmetal grey) hence one of the reasons i did not choose it plus the saving of £850 . i chose white mainly because out of all the colours it looked bigger than all the other colours, dealer confirmed the same save money,have a bigger presence and save money on resprays.Also white reflects the heat better than red (air con not very powerful plus not having a solar winscreen car gets hot inside and takes ages to cool compared to my previous yeti/tiguan/Q5 ) Hope this helps.

Hi, thank you for the kind and informative reply. One question answered but has caused another lol.
Last year we suffered 45degree C temperatures here in Southern Europe. That's hot! You mention the air con is "Not very powerful" Oh dear, I note you live in the UK where temperatures don't generally get so high and certainly not for month after month. Poor air con would be a deal breaker for me in any car. Air con is used at least six months of the year here and is not a luxury but an essential.

Do other members find the air con non too powerful?

Thank you for the reply and advice.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:41:16 pm by Willpower »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Re: Just paid the deposit.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 04:20:32 pm »

H

Do other members find the air con non too powerful?

I live in southern Germany where it too can get quite warm although looking out of the window right now I'm finding that hard to believe myself.  :( Anyway, I have no complaints/problems with my late 2015 CX5; it blows plenty cold enough when conditions demand it and the amount of heat it throws out when demanded is not too mean either. Personally I think it's all about reading the manual thoroughly, understanding the system and setting it up correctly.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:24:35 am »
That’s an unfounded comment based on a misunderstanding of the way the system works.  The air conditioning needs to be left in full auto mode and it will self select either eco or full AC depending on the requirements.  It’s surprising that if the car doesn’t blow cold air how many people think the system isn’t working but full cold air isn’t comfortable and will soon chill the occupants too much. However, with the aircon set to AC and low it is more than capable of chilling the interior like a fridge very quickly.  I ran a new CX5 rental car in southern Florida and it soon brought the temperature down from unbearable to very comfortable in no time. Don’t worry about it.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:18:51 am »
Not too sure which part of my post you find to be an 'unfounded comment'. Surely my saying read the manual thoroughly, understand the system and set it up correctly cannot be considered unfounded.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:35:58 pm »
Not too sure which part of my post you find to be an 'unfounded comment'. Surely my saying read the manual thoroughly, understand the system and set it up correctly cannot be considered unfounded.

Sorry Deeps, that comment was in response to the OP’s question about whether we thought the AC is inadequate and I should have quoted him.  The comment I find unfounded was made by Dunhill. 

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »
Just a bit of reassurance for Ryland.   The AC has a rated output of 5Kw which is as good or better than other vehicles in this segment.  The control logic is different so for maximum cooling, the “dual” function must be turned off otherwise the system will not overchill the passenger side.  I suspect that might be what is happening with any comment about poor performance. The same goes for heating.  You can turn the heat right up on the drivers side but if it is set to a lower temp on the passenger side then it will feel subdued.  Turn off the dual setting so both sides read the same and it will burn your feet.  Here is a pdf regarding the system spec.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 09:35:52 pm »
Interesting... I never thought of turning off the dual function as luckily myself and my wife like the same temperature settings so kept the dual function on.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:10:30 am »
Interesting... I never thought of turning off the dual function as luckily myself and my wife like the same temperature settings so kept the dual function on.

I think dual allows different settings and turning it off keeps them the same ;-)

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:10:13 pm »

I think dual allows different settings and turning it off keeps them the same ;-)
I'll just experiment. The most complex A/C was on my 2009 Citroen C5, the array of individual and independant adjustments available for each side were mind boggling to say the least ??? I think we're in danger of going off topic, Willpower will be after us :'(
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline dunhill1984

• Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Air Con Question
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:29:46 pm »
in response to anchormans brutal reply, i like to say i want instant cold air if the interior is roasting and i have only a 15 min commute home and the windscreen radiates heat a lot, so i need cold air full on...and the only i can do so is put it on manual,full fan and lowest temp 15c then i get cold air(auto does not do this on low fan only)  but i think also that the air vents are too low down and not big enough(compared to other suvs i have had) which decreases the effect
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:42:00 pm by Willpower »
living a stress free life near dona nook (nth somercotes) bombing range on lincs coast

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
Re: Air Con Question