Author Topic: Engine oil too high - any advice?  (Read 24779 times)

Offline DanUK

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Engine oil too high - any advice?
« on: June 20, 2019, 08:13:39 pm »
Hi all. I have a CX5 (2018) and the attached warning came up today. It's really odd as the car is less than a year old (I've had it for three months), and in that time I haven't done anything to the engine oil as it was serviced just before I took it away.

I popped into Halfords for them to have a look and they confirmed using the dipstick there's too much oil in there (albeit not awful) but advised I take it to a garage to sort.

A few questions if I may:
  • how does this happen? can it rise on its own - if not, why didn't it warn about that from day 1 of me having it as no oil has been added?
  • am I best taking this to a local garage, or a Mazda one under warranty? Everywhere is closed now, but I can try in the morning

Thanks in advance,
Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:16:35 pm by DanUK »

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
Re: Engine oil too high - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:05:17 pm »
Is it above the "X" mark on the dipstick. If so, take it back to the dealer you bought it from especially as they had just serviced it before you bought it.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline DanUK

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:08:35 pm »
Thanks! Yes, the guy from Halfords said that.

I will give them a buzz tomorrow - but any ideas why this would happen or whether it's a sign of anything else? The dealer I bought it from is ages away, but will call my local one who fitted my CarPlay recently.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 11:26:09 pm »
It’s a common problem with modern Diesel engines because they pump neat diesel into the engine to burn off soot in the exhaust.  It shouldn’t happen so soon after a service.  They have probably changed the oil and not reset the oil service data which measures the viscosity of the oil.  They should also only add 5.1 litres of oil which leaves it lower than full but the uneducated will top it up.  I’m afraid many dealerships have semi skilled mechanics changing oil. 
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 11:27:08 pm »
With diesels this can happen when the DPF system will dump diesel into the sump,and may account for problem.

More likely to happen if you're doing a lot of short journeys, which are
toxic for diesels, and is well documented.

eg
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/41640/is-rising-oil-level-a-symptom-of-a-dpf-fault-
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline DanUK

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 12:04:38 am »
That makes a lot more sense now - thank you both! Really helpful.

Is it something 'dangerous' or damaging for the car? The dealer I'll likely take it to isn't around the corner, but if it is something 'bad' I can just take it to a garage here. If it's not a Mazda dealer, should I give them the info you've mentioned above perhaps?

Thanks again,
Dan

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:19:43 am »
Considering the age of it & time you've had the car I'd definitely stick with a Mazda dealer unless they agree for you to get the oil checked/changed elsewhere.
Is this the 1st time you've checked the oil since owning the car ?, if so due to the time/miles covered it's far more likely that it was overfilled when it was serviced rather than the DPF Regen's dumping unburnt diesel into the sump.
An over filled sump can cause issues for an engine & it catalytic converter if it has one, but oil that's been contaminated by fuel has of course been diluted somewhat it's no longer doing it's job properly and should, along with the filter, be changed ASAP.
FYI all of the diesels cars I've owned and still been under warranty have had any necessary oil & filter changes needed due to contamination issues have been done without cost to me and so they should. The fact some cars have additional (how contaminated is it) marks on the dipstick proves it's a know issue !!!

Good luck

Offline PeterUK

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:07 am »
I've had a recon engine at 96k mls, now at 100k mls. I travel about 11 mls per day, after waiting the 35 secs for the increased sartup revs to die down, I set off. I keep the revs above 1500 rpm until the blue temp light goes off. Using Mazda's DPF oil and filter, I  changed it after 4k mls. Reason was the oil had gone up by about half a litre and the engine would sound more 'tappy' when hot. After 400 hundred miles it's happening again. I always turn off the Stop Start.

It's a 2015 2.2d 150bhp manual 2wd.

I love the looks and drive of the car but am fed up of the engine. I'm tempted to part ex it for Volvo XC60 2.0d of around same miles and age. Shame.

When Mazda dealer open again I'm going to call them to ask how to stop the oil 'thing' happening.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:25:57 pm by PeterUK »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:07 am »