Author Topic: Cyclinder head replacement  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Gbuss666

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Cyclinder head replacement
« on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:09 pm »
Hi all,
So I’ve got the dreaded blown turbo, vacuum pump, cam scenario on my 2013 2.2D sport. I’m not going to bore you all with the ins and outs of trying to get a warranty repair, I’m facing up to having to foot the bill personally. Mazda wanted £6k!! I’ve got a local independent guy who’ll do it for just over £4K but he does also strip further down the engine ‘just to be safe’. This is still waaay too expensive so I’m looking at a possible DIY repair. I’m pretty handy with a spanner but not stripped an engine since I blew a hole in the piston of my old Yamaha RD125 over 30 years ago!! The turbo and vacuum pump don’t phase me, has anyone else on here changed a head though please and can offer advice? I’ve found a company who do reconditioned units for £550 on an exchange basis, I can get a recon turbo for £450 plus a vacuum pump for around £100. Those costs look a lot more promising if it’s relatively straight forward.
TIA.

Offline Preload

• Just checked my pulse Yep I'm still a live :-)
  • Colour: Titanium Flash Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2021
Re: Cyclinder head replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 03:26:19 pm »
Hi all,
So I’ve got the dreaded blown turbo, vacuum pump, cam scenario on my 2013 2.2D sport. I’m not going to bore you all with the ins and outs of trying to get a warranty repair, I’m facing up to having to foot the bill personally. Mazda wanted £6k!! I’ve got a local independent guy who’ll do it for just over £4K but he does also strip further down the engine ‘just to be safe’. This is still waaay too expensive so I’m looking at a possible DIY repair. I’m pretty handy with a spanner but not stripped an engine since I blew a hole in the piston of my old Yamaha RD125 over 30 years ago!! The turbo and vacuum pump don’t phase me, has anyone else on here changed a head though please and can offer advice? I’ve found a company who do reconditioned units for £550 on an exchange basis, I can get a recon turbo for £450 plus a vacuum pump for around £100. Those costs look a lot more promising if it’s relatively straight forward.
TIA.

An RD125 is nothing compared to a 4 stroke.  Saying that wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to swap a Turbo as for the vacuum pump not sure where that is situated ;D

Motorcycles are my favourite form of transport but CX-5 is smooth.
GT Sport Nav +
2L

Offline Gbuss666

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:03:17 pm »
The turbo is almost off. One last bolt being particularly awkward. It’s getting an overnight WD40 soak before I have another go in the morning, biggest problem is access to the manifold bolts. The vacuum pump is right hand side of the head, accessed by taking battery & box etc off. The engine got treated to a flush with Wynns flush before a drain, refill with clean oil and more flush then second drain. Probably a bit OTT but seeing the state of the oil that had only been in from the start of January it could be £20 extra well spent. Should be getting recon turbo tomorrow, if I can get mine off before I go it’ll save leaving a deposit for the exchange. Recon head paid for and on the way. What could possibly go wrong!!! ????

Offline Quinny

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:46:54 am »
Hi..any update on this please?

Offline SteveAWD

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 01:10:33 pm »
It is an old thread but its a shame these subjects aren't followed up on. Could be really useful to a lot of us CX5 DIY guys.
I was talking to a Mazda mechanic who told me that a cylinder head removal would be an "engine out job" but really, I cant see why. Its right in front of you when you lift the bonnet!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 01:10:33 pm »