Author Topic: Sorry All - Now Changed to Another Make  (Read 11585 times)

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Sorry All - Now Changed to Another Make
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:01:05 pm »
As the title. I wanted to go electric but unfortunately the Mazda offering (MX-30) is too cramped especially in the rear and the range is hopeless. I would have bought Mazda if they had an equivalent of an electric CX-5. I changed to the dark side (Ford Mustang Mach-E), my first ever Ford and I have to tell you it's 11 out of 10. Such a joy to drive, I'm even volunteering to do the supermarket shopping as I want to drive it so much.
I've had 3 new CX-5's in a row which is the longest I've ever been loyal to a manufacturer. I wanted to stay loyal but unfortunately Mazda is not keeping up with the times (Toyota influence perhaps?) so jumped ship. I'm talking about less stressful pure driving pleasure. Plus I'm not having to worry about a possible DPF warning light or watching for rising oil levels. Charging at home only at the moment with 5p per KWH with Octopus Go, with no need so far to experience the "pleasure" of public charging networks.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Preload

• Just checked my pulse Yep I'm still a live :-)
  • Colour: Titanium Flash Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2021
Re: Sorry All - Now Changed to Another Make
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 04:39:07 pm »
I'm looking at the Mach E as an alternative to the CX-5 in the future

Motorcycles are my favourite form of transport but CX-5 is smooth.
GT Sport Nav +
2L

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 10:47:47 pm »
I'm very satisfied with mine. The acceleration and smoothness of the power delivery will be significantly better than your 2L petrol plus there's no E10 petrol issues to bother about as some owners are reporting a significant MPG hit.

Offline Preload

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
If quick was a factor I wouldn't be driving a CX-5. Electric motors are linear it's the nature of the beast.  I haven't had any issue with E10 MPG if anything it's been slightly better, now it's getting colder the MPG will suffer but it's the same for electric the range will be less. If I get an electric car I'll be waiting a few years for the fast charging technology to be readily available I also think Hydrogen is the answer atm and electric is necessary stop gap
GT Sport Nav +
2L

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 02:52:27 pm »
If quick was a factor I wouldn't be driving a CX-5. Electric motors are linear it's the nature of the beast.  I haven't had any issue with E10 MPG if anything it's been slightly better, now it's getting colder the MPG will suffer but it's the same for electric the range will be less. If I get an electric car I'll be waiting a few years for the fast charging technology to be readily available I also think Hydrogen is the answer atm and electric is necessary stop gap
Ahh. I only mentioned how quick it is as that's the factor most people seem to be interested in. Practical day to day advantages include the ability to heat or cool the interior before you get in the car via the app. No more scraping the ice off in the winter. I'm also aware of the disadvantages regarding range in winter etc. I've not had to use a public charger yet as I charge at home at night when I'm asleep between 12.30 and 4.30 in the morning. So far travelled 1,500 miles although had no need to travel hundreds of miles at a time yet.

Calculated will be able to get to the Isle of Wight on holiday without charging. The holiday cottage we rent has now been fitted with a 7kw charger by the owners so we'll be able to charge every night without using public charging. Admittedly the public charging infrastucture on the island is woefully inadequate for the increase in tourists in the summer months. Predicted range at the moment is just over 300 miles on 100% charge. The public charging infrastructure will improve over time.

My opinion on hydrogen is that it is difficult/expensive to store and transport. It will still need hydrogen tankers to take the liquid hydrogen to the fuel stations whereas electricity is just conducted along cables to charging points. People will still have to make a separate visit to a filling station. Also, if the hydrogen is being produced from fossil fuel sources then it's not much cleaner than burning fossil fuels direct. The only clean hydrogen is that produced from renewable energy sources, so in my opinion it's a technological dead end with only Toyota seeming to support it with the Mirai. I can see it being of more benefit to trains and HGV's rather than cars.
The benefit in waiting is that there will be more choice of cars available. It's like any technology, do you keep waiting until something better comes along or buy now and enjoy the benefits. I decided to buy now and enjoy the benefits. ( I'm not getting any younger) ;)
Update - Firefox/my internet security app won't let me delete my Mazda from the profile as the web address is not htpps so I'm having to leave it alone. I still want to remain a member and contribute any thoughts to the forum. Just ignore my car details on my profile. I will be more active one day if Mazda can do a fully electric equivalent of a CX-5?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 03:01:41 pm by Jonno21 »

Offline Preload

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 09:34:32 pm »
As I said electric a necessary stop gap and I will have one. I'm looking at Tesla along with a few others to see what advances have been made. The issue is with more cars and home heating etc being electric the grid will not be able to cope and with no new power plants until one in 2026 and that's nuclear. We will need an alternative to electric
GT Sport Nav +
2L

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 10:34:50 pm »
As I said electric a necessary stop gap and I will have one. I'm looking at Tesla along with a few others to see what advances have been made. The issue is with more cars and home heating etc being electric the grid will not be able to cope and with no new power plants until one in 2026 and that's nuclear. We will need an alternative to electric
The National Grid says that it can cope with the extra demand? https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero-stories/can-grid-cope-extra-demand-electric-cars
I recommend going for a test drive in as many cars as you're interested in although the Model Y will not be available in the UK until the first quarter of 2022 even if you order it immediately. Mind the (panel) gaps though ;) The Polestar 2 I test drove was good but not quite tall enough inside for me to fit comfortably at 6 feet 2.

Offline Preload

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 10:08:50 am »
Interesting read I like the Bladder Range part I don't know about you but I can go 5 hours quite easily.  Makes sense using hydrogen. https://www.nationalgrid.com/5-aug-2020-national-grid-launch-ps10m-trial-project-test-if-hydrogen-can-heat-homes-and-industry. I know some gas boiler manufactures are looking at Gas/Hydrogen boilers but did wondered how they were going to power them. Looks like the electric air pumps being sold atm are short term solution if the scheme works.
GT Sport Nav +
2L

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 11:07:44 pm »
Interesting read I like the Bladder Range part I don't know about you but I can go 5 hours quite easily.  Makes sense using hydrogen. https://www.nationalgrid.com/5-aug-2020-national-grid-launch-ps10m-trial-project-test-if-hydrogen-can-heat-homes-and-industry. I know some gas boiler manufactures are looking at Gas/Hydrogen boilers but did wondered how they were going to power them. Looks like the electric air pumps being sold atm are short term solution if the scheme works.
Now you're just showing off about bladder range. :) When you get to a certain age bladder range is very important. Hunger takes over as well. Yes, makes sense to use hydrogen for heating but not for transportation. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_dpZz0Dfg
I think we've probably flogged the subject enough. If anyone's interested in my Mach-e ownership journey (warts and all) then I'll carry on, if not I may as well sign off now.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 11:07:44 pm »