Author Topic: 2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?  (Read 32936 times)

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:04:59 pm »
Having read numerous reviews on the CX5 before taking the plunge, the overall impression given by motoring journalists is that the 150 bhp diesel is the preferred choice. Being a natural contrarian, I opted for petrol, mainly due to concerns about DPF's clogging up and rising oil levels reported by some owners,. I am also a lowish mileage driver so mpg is not that important to me but I will be keeping the car for quite a few years - I think the diesel tide will turn on environmental and taxation grounds at some time.

Are there any petrol version owners out there who can give some guidance on the performance and refinement of their motor in comparison to the diesel.... is it fair that the petrol is dismissed so readily by the motoring mags or is it indeed justified?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:20:37 am by Caldean »

Offline McDon

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Year: 2017
Re: 2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:29:38 pm »
Hi Caldean,

I am a proud and very happy owner of a Petrol CX-5, and have been for the last 15 months. Have now covered 13000 trouble free miles and achieving 40mpg.  It is refined, responsive, comfortable and still a pleasure to drive. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions.

McDon

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:52:24 pm »
Can't really comment other than to say that the Honest John real MPG data shows that the petrol model is the only one in the range where the official and real MPG figures start to resemble each other (87% of official MPG compared to 71-76% for the diesel variants).

Alan

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:08:31 pm »
we have done 18k and getting 33.3 mpg avg round town, on a run it will do 38, but its all about how you drive cruising at 50 mph will give over 40, my 3 has the same engine and BHP, I managed 43.4 miles on a 160 mile journey non stop but what you gain in economy you lose in time in this case it was a full hour between Aberdeen and Glasgow. having done over 14k in the 3 now its showing 38 mpg avg.

we bought the petrol because we wasn't going over 6k per year, and I previously had a madza 6 diesel 1st gen DPF, I was only getting 44mpg and just didn't like this rising oil levels and the light came on after 11 months, dealer said it was due a service, still having 1500miles left, I wouldn't have bought the car if id known about all these dpf issues back then and its not just mazda who were suffering, but that was over 5 years ago know and I know the dpf technology has come on with different and better versions,

remember the compression ratio is 14.1 the first time I drove the cx-5 it felt a little like a diesel in that you had to quickly gear up as you progressed. you can use 6th gear a lot more than before indicator lighting up at 1800 rev about 40 mph, we have had out cx5 39 months now and its looking like we will be getting another petrol, but I would like to go see the Honda HRV first. Having said all this if you give this car some welly it really is a different beast, I managed to fend off a supercharged petrol rangie, he probably could see his fuel going down right in front of his eyes, lol. I think its one of the best handling SUV,s at speed there is for the money.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:27:34 pm by rmvf »
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Caldean

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:34:57 pm »
Thanks guys. I've a week to go and have no regrets on my choice. It seems the real world mpg gap is narrower than on paper. I suspect the main plus is the low down torque the diesel gives without  having to change gear. Just as well the cx5 has a gearbox that encourages you to shift frequently. Sadly there were so few petrol demonstrators around when I started my search (4 in Scotland,  30 nationally) I tested the diesel and then took a leap of faith. I'm sure it'll be fine !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:22:00 pm by Caldean »

Offline Caldean

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
Just done my first long trip up the A9, sticking to the speed limits due to the average speed cameras. I managed 46mpg with no bother at all. Quiet and refined, a wee bit of wind flutter around the wing mirrors but definitely quieter than my VW Golf Gti.  The torque of the diesel would be better under cruise control as a steep hill requires me to drop a gear or two, but it's not an issue for me. Very comfortable journey with no back ache. Only issue was a shredded tyre due to a large chunk of metal getting embedded in the tyre half way to Inverness. Unlucky but the tpms system worked well. Thankfully I'd ordered the spare wheel option which kept me mobile.....love our CX5 !!!!

Offline rmvf

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 09:56:55 pm »
Glad, your impressed, 46mpg WOW that's impressive, sorry to hear about the tyre you can go years without a puncture then have 2, we are still sat at 36.4mpg, but I have a lead right front once I get on the motorway for short blasts.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:35:28 pm »
I'm sure the mpg is all downhill from that peak as the new car, cotton wool driving technique descends into a less focused style... :)

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 07:20:36 am »
NA petrol is fine for reliability but I prefer a turbo engine, it gives a much more relaxed drive.
I was really impressed with a 1.8T petrol I had that would dismiss hill like they wasn't there, having owned 7 NA petrol cars before it.

I only drive a diesel because I tow and need low down torque, which the sequential turbo provides. I only but cars now with a turbo and AWD, now on my soon to be number five.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:36 pm »
I have to remind myself that the cx is my wife's car and she doesn't care about POWER as JC would say. She loves it, I've managed 49mpg so far , no dpf problems and arguably cleaner than diesel. I understand torque is needed for towing and low down grunt... I've had a few diesels in the past but I have my own toy cars for driving thrills these days  :)

Offline rmvf

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
Just done a 120 mile round trip to york, busy roads, managed 39.8 might,  for a car nearly 4 years old very impressed although it's only got 20k on clock

Offline Caldean

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:10:30 pm »
Driving round town, my missus gets 37. I really don't know how she does it!!

Offline rmvf

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 11:17:12 pm »
That's ok I can manage that too it all about taking foot off the accelator every time going downhill, and cruising where possible hard to do during rush hours and very busy traffic everyone rushing to get home to watch telly, lol

Offline rmvf

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:54:32 pm »
Just a update Cal, done 350 miles with me in the driving seat  and still 38.4, this is down to driving at rush hour times due to hospital visits so I reckon I could still make it at least 39 if not 40, obviously it's just a number not scientifically exact etc, you know what I mean, anyway going to reset on Wednesday got 380 miles to do in one go apart from a fill up at 150 miles. Will be interesting to see what it says I wish I could time how long I would be in 6th gear. Will repost result at the weekend. well it managed 39 mpg on the read out I know its not accurate I was experimenting to see how much higher it could go. that was at motorway speed with cruise set as much as possible. hoping on way down to drive like a nun and see if I can break the 40 mpg barrier whilst still driving at national speed limit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:34:25 pm by rmvf »

Offline Caldean

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »
I've just done a round trip from Dundee to Inverness, around the town centre, down to Edinburgh and finished with 43.2 mpg. 70mph Dundee to Perth, average speed cameras to Inverness (60 to 70mph ) and motorway from Perth to Edinburgh plus 15 miles town driving. Great car for cruising, although turbo would help rather than thrashing engine to overtake, but otherwise it's simply a superb car. Still in the wife's good books...!!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »