Author Topic: (Non) illumination of auto selector/gate (2012/13 model)  (Read 14697 times)

Offline djb14

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
(Non) illumination of auto selector/gate (2012/13 model)
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:03:58 pm »
Forgive the pun, but can anyone enlighten me as to whether the auto selector/gate should be illuminated on my pre-facelift CX5 (UK spec).  I understand that the facelift model design is different.  The dealer is investigating for me, but I'm struggling to understand why there's no illumination. Very poor design if this is indeed the case.

Thanks

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
Re: (Non) illumination of auto selector/gate (2012/13 model)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »
As I was driving into town a little earlier today I called in to see someone who I knew owned and drove a pre-facelift model and ask whether or not the shift gate on her car was illuminated. Unfortunately she wasn't in so unable to check first hand so to speak. However, I had a look on the German forum to see if this question had also raised it's ugly head and indeed it has. The short answer is that yes, the shift gate should be illuminated when the vehicle lights are on but in many cases, and for reasons known only to Mazda, the two ends of the relevant plug were not connected. So it's a case of removing the plastic cover, locate the two plug ends and reconnect. It was also mentioned that in one case whilst in fact the plugs were connected the non-illumination turned out to be a defective LED. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:19:20 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline djb14

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:26:38 pm »
As I was driving into town a little earlier today I called in to see someone who I knew owned and drove a pre-facelift model and ask whether or not the shift gate on her car was illuminated. Unfortunately she wasn't in so unable to check first hand so to speak. However, I had a look on the German forum to see if this question had also raised it's ugly head and indeed it has. The short answer is that yes, the shift gate should be illuminated when the vehicle lights are on but in many cases, and for reasons known only to Mazda, the two ends of the relevant plug were not connected. So it's a case of removing the plastic cover, locate the two plug ends and reconnect. It was also mentioned that in one case whilst in fact the plugs were connected the non-illumination turned out to be a defective LED. Hope this helps.

Many thanks Deeps for taking the trouble to check this out for me - that really is above and beyond the call of duty!!

I'll investigate further, quiz the dealer and feedback to the forum.

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:46 pm »
I've checked my 2012 Sport Nav and, as deeps suggests, the auto shift gate is illuminated when the lights are on.

Offline djb14

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
I've checked my 2012 Sport Nav and, as deeps suggests, the auto shift gate is illuminated when the lights are on.

Thanks - more ammunition when I take it back to the dealer!

Offline Alex

• Retired and loving it. Every day is a Saturday!
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »
Yes this area is illuminated on my 2012 auto.

It was almost a deal breaker as I once had a Peugeot 407 (I'm sure it was hand built personally by President Nicolas Sarkozy) apart from it being an awful thing with the turning circle of a Chinese container ship; among other issues it didn't have a light on the transmission tunnel. I bought it in daylight, and found out the first time I took it out at night and phoned the dealership thinking there was a fault. The same design team for that car is hoping to build a nuclear power station the other side of the village I live in, but that is another story.

Alex.
If it wasn't for pick-pockets & frisking at airports, I'd have no sex life at all .................Rodney Dangerfield.

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »
Hmmm, just checking I haven't misconstrued your query.

The illumination I refer to is the P R N D etc on the right hand side of the shift lever.

The actual gate that the shift lever moves through when selecting gear isn't illuminated, which did cause me some confusion when I first drove the car in darkness as it is such a strange stepped configuration.

Offline djb14

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »
Hmmm, just checking I haven't misconstrued your query.

The illumination I refer to is the P R N D etc on the right hand side of the shift lever.

The actual gate that the shift lever moves through when selecting gear isn't illuminated, which did cause me some confusion when I first drove the car in darkness as it is such a strange stepped configuration.

Thanks for the clarification which doesn't surprise me re. the gate itself.  I've no illumination at all.  The gate itself should, ideally, be illuminated but I can see by the design that this is unlikely to be possible from underneath. 

Offline djb14

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
Update!

Dealer found blown bulb after investigation, so I now have illuminated auto gear indication (for what it's worth)!  Still think it's rubbish design though, but at least it was worth following up.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »
 ;)  A result - great.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »