Author Topic: Desperate for an answer  (Read 13176 times)

Offline IanTS

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Desperate for an answer
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:48:23 am »
My CX-5 will be 3 years old in September 2017.  I enjoyed driving it until end of summer 2016, when the frequency of occurrences of high revs on startup, increased to nearly 1 every morning.  On occasions, it would happen twice per day, sometimes 3 times per day.

I recorded the dates and mileage of these occurrences and presented this to the dealer. I was told that this occurred when the temperature was in a certain band and that it was normal, yet I had not experienced this "problem" before, only on the odd occasion.  I did not take the matter further as the frequency dropped to what it was previously.   As summer began this year, the "problem" returned.  I did my recording of dates and mileage over a period of weeks and took this to the dealer.  I was told again that it was normal and that it was my driving pattern, sometimes only 1 mile per day, but in most cases, between a few miles and 20+ miles, with some trips being a lot higher.  Yesterday's trip was 215 miles and same "problem" on startup this morning.  Other than the odd long trips, my driving pattern hasn't changed, summer or winter.

When I get these high revs at shopping centres and the like, people look at me as if I'm mad.  My neighbor works shifts and his bedroom window is close to my drive.  He hasn't said anything yet but I'm sure he's going to soon!  (I forgot to mention that the engine revs at 1,750rpm and the duration is 30 seconds)

I cannot believe that this is normal, yet that's what the dealer tells me, it's driving me round the bend.  I was told that blipping the throttle would stop the high revs, but it doesn't.  I desperately need to know if anyone on the forum has experienced this problem and how it was resolved.  Many thanks.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: Desperate for an answer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:58:37 am »
My late 2014 CX-5 does this too, as did my previously owned 2015 Mazda 6 diesel, as does a friend's 2016 Mazda 6 diesel, as did his previous 2015 one.
It's related to ambient air temp and engine temp.  I find if the car has been sitting for a while and I start it with outside temp in the mid to high teens it occurs.  I believe it's to heat up the turbo quicker, but I personally don't see why it's necessary.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:46 am »
Mine does the same and to the non-tech savvy people like me, appears random - but as per the previous reply from Bert321, I know it's not.

I've got the auto and as soon as I move it out of park it drops the revs immediately, so avoids the 30 seconds you talk about.

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:04:40 pm »
Mine does the same - 2015 150 diesel manual. I pull away immediately and the revs drop straightaway. It's seems odd for an engine to rev this high on start up but apparently, it's normal.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »
Yup! That is normal. "(I forgot to mention that the engine revs at 1,750rpm and the duration is 30 seconds)

Mine does this as well. However, after many complaints from German customers (where 30 seconds revving up a Diesel is not allowed) the engine software was modified).

Please ask your workshop to apply the required software. 

Better yet : can some German members here explain how to proceed?

Offline IanTS

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:18:31 am »
Many thanks for the feedback, it would be nice to hear from our German friends with information on how to move forward with this.  Even better if they have details of the software version/number.

My first summer, 2015, I never experienced this problem, it seemed to develop to the current situation late in summer 2016.  I wonder if updated software was installed.  This month (July), high revs occurred every morning, except on the 12th.  I travelled 210 miles on the 12th and on the morning of the 13th, it did it again, yet the dealer said it was happening because of my low mileage driving pattern, it seems your feedback dispels his theory.
Hope our German members get back with some helpful information.  Thanks again for an excellent response, it wasn't what I expected.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:49:08 am »
Yes they all do that. I usually just stick it in reverse with the brake on and it slows down straight away and is usually ok the rest of the day

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:49:08 am »