Author Topic: Airco CX-5 KF  (Read 15212 times)

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
Airco CX-5 KF
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
I seem to have a problem with my 2017 CX-5's A/C.
Engine is 2.5L petrol, so certainly not aneaemic.

With the temperatures rising since some months here on the continent (probably on your isle as well) it appears that the A/C does not cope very well with higher temperatures.

Up to 28°C, and setting the auto position at 23 °C, the A/C performs well and the cockpit stays cool enough.

As from 30 °C the auto position cannot follow anymore, and must be adjusted to 20°C.

If the outside temp goes higher (the last week 32°C, this week 35°C) the A/C does not follow anymore and is just underpowered (fans do blow at a high rate but cannot cool the interior to below 28°C (measured with a testo 925), even with the auto-setting at 16°C.
(mode goes out of ECO, blowers hight etc.)

Is this normal?

Anybody know about the specs of the A/C, that is, what is the possible inside temp against outside temp?

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2018
Re: Airco CX-5 KF
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:26:36 pm »
I had a rental and took it to Key West, Florida where the temperature and humidity were very high. It worked absolutely fine so the system is capable. Try turning it off at the off button and then turn it on again by pressing the auto button.  Set it to its lowest temperature and make sure the dual control shows the temperature on both sides is the same.

If that works, the system is capable and we need to look at your settings.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:30 am »
I just did what you suggested. A/C off en then on again via the auto button.
Outside temp is 31°C, A/C set at 16°C both sides, system works but cannot cool the inside effectively.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:35:34 am »
I would suggest it’s worth re gassing. It should still blow cold at the vents as you’ve tested it.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:42:16 am »
I never use an Auto setting on aircon in any car; does it work better on manual?

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
I would suggest it’s worth re gassing. It should still blow cold at the vents as you’ve tested it.

OK! But seems strange to me as the car is only 10 months old....

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 12:02:14 pm »
I would say get it checked for re-gassing as well, maybe a small leak is letting pressure out?

Alan

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 05:32:41 pm »
In the mean time, I did some additional checks.

OAT today here 32°C.

- setting AUTO (bypassed the ECO-mode) : set desired temp at 21 °C. air source : inside, recirculation.
- measured the temp directly at the vents; air comes out at between 3....8 °c (goes up and down in that range, several times a minute).
- inside cannot be cooled lower than 28 °C.
- in the same AUTO-setting, but this time with desired temp at 18°C, results same as above, but blowers speed up, inside becomes 24°C after 1/2h of driving. will not go lower.
- all of above require a min. of 2.500 rpm, once below that the air vents blow at 14..16 °C and inside temp doesn't descend to below 28°C.
- other parameters : sunroof closed, all windows opened for several minutes to let the heat out of the inside before engine start.

Anybody knows of the specs with regards to the A/C, especially OAT vs. inside temp? Maximum difference?

Thank you!

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 10:52:16 am »
Sorry that I can't offer any input to directly answer your question other than to say that the Aircon controls are something that I've never really looked at or had a play with. That said, I've set my side at 20°C leaving it at that setting come summer or winter, whilst the OH adjusts hers to between 18°C and twenty something °C depending on how she is feeling. A lot of this is mind over matter in my uneducated view but as said earlier, I'm comfortable leaving the setting at 20°C whatever the weather. Oh, and it was 37°C shade temperature when I set off yesterday afternoon.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 08:18:05 pm »
In the mean time, I did some additional checks.

OAT today here 32°C.

- setting AUTO (bypassed the ECO-mode) : set desired temp at 21 °C. air source : inside, recirculation.
- measured the temp directly at the vents; air comes out at between 3....8 °c (goes up and down in that range, several times a minute).
- inside cannot be cooled lower than 28 °C.
- in the same AUTO-setting, but this time with desired temp at 18°C, results same as above, but blowers speed up, inside becomes 24°C after 1/2h of driving. will not go lower.
- all of above require a min. of 2.500 rpm, once below that the air vents blow at 14..16 °C and inside temp doesn't descend to below 28°C.
- other parameters : sunroof closed, all windows opened for several minutes to let the heat out of the inside before engine start.

Anybody knows of the specs with regards to the A/C, especially OAT vs. inside temp? Maximum difference?

Thank you!

You seem to be wanting to prove there is a fault or the system is inadequate. Either may be the case but it’s hard to tell without being there. I’ve never measured the temps although I’ve got both a thermocouple and an infra red tester so could do.  Answer this though, if the air temperature at the vents is 3-8c, why doesn’t it bring the temperature lower?  Are you saying the volume is too low?  Those are refrigerator temps.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »
That is what I also suspect : the volume is too low.
The system has problems with outside temps in the 32...36°C range and probably beyond that range as well.

Did another test yesterday : it takes half an hour on the highway at between 100....120 km/h to get the inside temp down to 26°C.

Strangely enough, some people on the US forum report that they have no issues at all with an OAT of 100 °F.

Therefore my question again : Anybody knows of the specs with regards to the A/C, especially OAT vs. inside temp? Maximum difference?

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 06:50:36 pm »
I’ll check the spec when I get chance but that assumes they are published.  These test you keep doing are a waste of time, the aircon works in much higher US temps than yours.

What happens if you manually turn the fan speed up to full.

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:44 pm »
Thank you Anchorman.

I already did what you suggested : turning up the fan manually)  to max doesn't help much.

In the Auto mode (no ECO) the system, and at mentioned temperatures, the system already blows at (nearly) maximum.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:44 pm »