Author Topic: Caravan Extension Mirros  (Read 13592 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Caravan Extension Mirros
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:23:14 am »
This question will attract a very limited response I know - perhaps only one - but has anyone given any thought or done any research into available extension mirrors for use when towing a caravan?

I currently own a pair of Milenco Aero mirrors  http://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/milenco-aero-towing-mirror/ that I have used previously on a VW Touran. The mirrors fitted to the Touran were far more robust than those currently fitted to the CX-5 and in addition were not electrically operated and were therefore cheaper to replace. One aspect of the Milenco's I never really liked - although they are of excellent quality and vibration free when fitted - was the fact that they are attached by screw-down brackets to the original mirrors and I always had the feeling that one turn of the screw too much and a sharp crack of broken plastic would be heard. I am, therefore, looking for an alternative to the Milenco's that are more conventionally attached. This would only be in the short term until my absolute favourite supplier of extension mirrors produces them for the FL (facelift) CX-5 in July 2016. http://www.emuk.com/spezialspiegel.html
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: Caravan Extension Mirros
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:40:34 pm »
I use these cheap Milenco mirrors, the 3698. Paid £20.

http://milencolimited.vpweb.co.uk/Products.html

They are far more secure than the aeros i returned, and the grand aeros i still have for which i paid around £55.
The cheap MGI are made by Milenco, they use two straps, and two clamps with a safety lanyard.

I've used them now for two years, and only retain the Grands just incase i need a spare quickly.
Only thing to watch for is the positioning of the strap anchor nearest the door, if its too close it will touch the body work when the mirrors are folded, to eliminate that i have a marker on the mirror using black pvc tape, you don't see.

The MGI clamp screws are nylon, but i have had zero problems, and the mirrors came with a spare, i fully recommend them, i think the clamp only type are very poor in comparison to the previous ones i had that strapped on, but i couldn't use them on the CX-5 due to fouling the body if the mirrors are folded inadvertently.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
Thanks, I'll look further into that.  ;)
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline G.L. Bianchi

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »
I use for several year Repusel mirrors.

Here is a link.
http://repusel.com/ENGLISH/catalog/category_display.php?categories_id=1

regards.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:57:08 pm »
Thanks for that. However, as a temperary measure until my preferred EMUK mirrors become available in July I've opted for the Oppi mirrors which get good reviews this side of the pond.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:57:08 pm »