Author Topic: Driver Door Mirror & Window Switch Illuminated or Not?  (Read 26017 times)

Offline Pirate983

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Driver Door Mirror & Window Switch Illuminated or Not?
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:56:15 pm »
Hi all. Picked up my new CX5 Sport couple of weeks ago and just noticed that the electrci mirror and window switches do not illuminate when the headlights are on. The only one that does on driver side is the switch for the driver window. All other lights inside for switches/dash/dials all illuminate including the passenger (front and rear) window switches. Pressing the window disable button turns the lights off on the other windows though so it doesn't seem a problem with a fuse or anything. Is it normal for the switches on the driver side to only have the driver window illuminted? I saw on a US forum that it was normal but wondered if same in the UK.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Driver Door Mirror & Window Switch Illuminated or Not?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »
I think you may be right, but I hadn't really noticed. Just went out to check; turned power on then headlights. Thought I'd better check headlights were on and blinded myself... Staring into a xenon headlight from 2ft away not recommended. Now can't see enough to tell which switches are illuminated. Will have another look when its dark and my sight has returned.  ::)

Alan

Offline BigAl

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:21:52 pm »
Yep, correct. Of the four window controls, only the one for the drivers door illuminates. The other three don't, neither does the mirror control.

Alan.

Offline Pirate983

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:02 am »
LOL BigAl, quite right. Xenon headlights our human eyes don't mix well  8). Hope all OK now. Thanks for checking and at least the lack of illumination is by design rather than failure. Does beg the question as to why Mazda have done this. Cost cutting more like but does it "really" save that much? The mind boggles. :o

Offline BigAl

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »
My best guess would be that it's not a money saving exercise. The cable/feed is already there, at the most it saves three small bulbs or LEDs. It's probably to ensure you can find the right switch in the dark. Each of the other doors has a single illuminated switch, the drivers has four with just the one illuminated.

Alan

Offline Pirate983

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:26 pm »
Fair point, but wonder what Mazda were thinking by not illuminating the electric door mirrors too? If illuminated then if there's a need to adjust in the dark/with lights on your hand can find the dial easier than fumbling around in the dark while driving.

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:00:33 pm »
This is the same on facelift models too - door mirror control is not illuminated at night. Went to adjust the passenger door mirror  earlier but had no idea where the control was pointing! Not a massive problem but a bit inconvenient and an oversight by Mazda if you ask me.

Offline Pirate983

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:10 pm »
Wow, not resolved with later facelift models. This is such a shame they chose to not put backlights in at least the driver door controls, essential when night driving to see where everything is.

Offline G.L. Bianchi

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »
Hi,

Here is a link to the German Mazzda CX5 forum how to upgrade the switches.
http:/www.cx5-forum.de/f10/anleitung-fensterheber-leds-nachruesten-2057.html

Einbauanleitung - Fensterheber LEDs nachrüsten.pdf

You can use google translate if you can not read German.

Regards.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:25:25 pm by Willpower »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:11:12 pm »
Not too sure that I'm understanding this question of switch lighting (Pirate983) above). I have what is termed the 'Exclusive' model here in Germany which is one down from the Sports Nav in that my car doesn't have leather seats or in-built Navigator amongst other things. Even so, the four window switches on the drivers side plus the one on the passenger side (not checked the rear switches) DO illuminate when the headlights are switched on.

I noticed this when entering into our underground garage when, with the headlight switch set to 'Auto' they came on automatically. At the same time the door switches also became illuminated.

That said, they don't appear to be illuminated by LED's but I'm guessing by using some form of miniature chemical stick because the illumination increases over the course of several seconds. I confirmed this by parking up at which time everything was switched off, followed by pressing the engine start switch without pressing the brake pedal (automatic drive). Sure enough, as the headlights turned on, the door switches slowly illuminated reaching full brightness after approximately 30 seconds. The attached image which I took with my phone clearly shows this although due to the overall darkness inside the vehicle and with having set the phones flash to 'off' the image is slightly out of focus.

It would seem strange if the UK versions of the CX-5 didn't have this feature especially the top of the range Sports Nav model. I can confirm that the mirror control is not illuminated though although I can understand why this should be the choice of Mazda. The correct setting of the mirror(s) should be undertaken prior to setting off and not during the journey so I can't really see a need for them being illuminated because who in their right mind is going to start playing around with the mirror adjustment in the dark when hurling down the motorway at 70 plus LOL.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:26:19 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »
I have a pre facelift 2013 Sport Nav and only the driver's switch illuminates.

Yes I agree it would be a little better if all four did (not the mirror as the poster above says I don't think you should be fiddling with that in the dark when driving...when stationery you can turn the ceiling lights on if need be).

However I don't really see the problem with only one switch being illuminated. I can find any of them pretty easily by touch, and if you know the driver's one is the lit one, it's fairly clear where the others are in relation to it surely?

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:41 am »
Our 2016 sport nav light up all 4 likes Deeps picture shows. I have checked the 2012 and it's only the drivers switch, what I did do is cover the switch and noticed that even with lights off, the switch was already illuminated, so in daylight you can't see the they are already on. As twabrigs says it's easy to feel by touch which window the driver can choose without looking. I also checked that the switch stays illuminated  even after interior lights have gone out after ignition is switched off, until the drivers door is opened.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:55:50 pm by rmvf »
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:41 am »