Author Topic: CX5 Turbo failure  (Read 31118 times)

Offline Polymerman

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
CX5 Turbo failure
« on: June 28, 2016, 05:28:44 pm »
Just to add my 62 reg CX5 to the list of failed turbo and associated cam shaft wear. Hope to expand on post when I have returned to the comfort of home. In the meantime thanks to all here for making me feel I'm not alone. Hoping my car will be ready tomorrow so I can return from my unexpectedly extended and extra expensive holiday when I shall continue my endeavours with Mazda.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:02:40 pm by Willpower »

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: CX5 Turbo fa
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
Sorry to read about your problems.

When you have the opportunity I would appreciate a more detailed account.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2018
Re: CX5 Turbo failure
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:31:55 am »
In addition to xtm’s request above, I’m interested in whether it diluted a lot, which oil and which fuel you used.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline danny12w

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »
sorry to hear this, i would be interested to hear more. did you have any issues before hand when driving, anything that made you think something wasn't quite right?

Offline Polymerman

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:14:36 pm »

Finally got car back today and managed to hook up and get off site (in pouring rain) by 12 noon. Yes the incident happened 35 miles from our destination in Wales and towing our caravan. Not knowing the extent of the problem we decide to get relayed to destination and get sorted by local agent.
The final diagnosis was that the exhaust (high lift) cam shaft lobes were badly worn, the debris from which causes havoc with oil circulation to which the turbo bearings are highly susceptible. I was able to see the wear to the cam shaft whilst the guys were carrying out the diagnostic and I took some photos once the shaft was removed. I must admit that I was amazed at the amount of wear and confined to just the exhaust cam shaft? Dealer obviously knew of problem as was not the first he had come across.
I am currently communicating with Mazda myself as they have offered a 'good will' contribution of just 80% due to my car being 9 months out of warranty. This leaves me with a tidy 20% bill to pay along with costs for hiring a car for 12 days and additional 6 night camp site fees!
As far as the oil and fuel I use Anchorman, I have always had my CX5 serviced by Mazda and use my local Jet garage for fuel.
As far as warning signs building up to the turbo failure Danny, I did experience an ocassional few seconds of hesitation under power a few days prior but nothing else (no wearing light at all) until a dramatic loss of power seconds before it sounded like the bulk head was being sand blasted. Tha wear on the cam would obviously mean that the exhaust values were not opening fully which would cause a reduction in power but as the wear was over a period of time (45,000 miles from new) the reduction in power would be gradual and therefore not obvious until drastic decline.
Once again thanks to all and I'll let you know if and how things progress with Mazda.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:52:46 pm by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »
You say you had it relayed. Does that mean you went through one of the breakdown companies (RAC, AA, Green Flag et al)  If that was the case can you not claim back your out of pocket expenses from them?
The RAC covered me for 29 days accomodation (Solo) during a breakdown in France. (long story)  It might be worth looking into it.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:41:20 am »

Finally got car back today and managed to hook up and get off site (in pouring rain) by 12 noon. Yes the incident happened 35 miles from our destination in Wales and towing our caravan. Not knowing the extent of the problem we decide to get relayed to destination and get sorted by local agent.
The final diagnosis was that the exhaust (high lift) cam shaft lobes were badly worn, the debris from which causes havoc with oil circulation to which the turbo bearings are highly susceptible. I was able to see the wear to the cam shaft whilst the guys were carrying out the diagnostic and I took some photos once the shaft was removed. I must admit that I was amazed at the amount of wear and confined to just the exhaust cam shaft? Dealer obviously knew of problem as was not the first he had come across.
I am currently communicating with Mazda myself as they have offered a 'good will' contribution of just 80% due to my car being 9 months out of warranty. This leaves me with a tidy 20% bill to pay along with costs for hiring a car for 12 days and additional 6 night camp site fees!
As far as the oil and fuel I use Anchorman, I have always had my CX5 serviced by Mazda and use my local Jet garage for fuel.
As far as warning signs building up to the turbo failure Danny, I did experience an ocassional few seconds of hesitation under power a few days prior but nothing else (no wearing light at all) until a dramatic loss of power seconds before it sounded like the bulk head was being sand blasted. Tha wear on the cam would obviously mean that the exhaust values were not opening fully which would cause a reduction in power but as the wear was over a period of time (45,000 miles from new) the reduction in power would be gradual and therefore not obvious until drastic decline.
Once again thanks to all and I'll let you know if and how things progress with Mazda.

If the car has been Mazda serviced i would push for a full refund, i believe a forum member recently did recieve 100% refund.
Does your car come under this vin range.

"The affected VIN number for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it start with JMZKE. You VIN ends with 160600 so for me it looks like you fall under the category of potentially having a bad camshaft material quality. To be sure, please check your built date, if your car was built before Sept 17th 2013 then your are in the affected batch. All cars built after that date are not affected.

This doesn't mean you will get the problem, I have no idea what the chances of the problem happening are, probably very low.

Next week I am looking at test driving some new CX-5's, it's my wifes car, she loves how it drives and the height is perfect for getting our daughter in and out easily. I will try the automatic diesel too, with so much torque, I think an automatic would be good, I liked my last golf DSG.

Switzerland now gets the 2.5L petrol, so I will try that too (only automatic available) but I have a feeling I might miss the pull of the diesel, let's see."

The above is a post from a few years ago, so i don't see how Mazda can avoid a full refund, or how you can fail to win if it goes to court?

I'm totally unimpressed with Mazda with regards to recalls, they know there is a faulty batch of both vacuum pumps and cams, yet fail to recall any cars.
I know recalls are safety related but isnt a breakdown unsafe especially if towing on a motorway at speed when the engine goes, or in my case the brakes could have failed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:46:56 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 09:37:12 am »
Hi Polymerman thanks for your description. Just out of interest do you know if they have to take the head off to replace the camshaft or can it be got out from the top without head removal? Also did you have the modified oil filter fitted that was supposed to stop all the swarf running around the engine.

Offline Polymerman

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:00 am »
Thanks Xtrailman, yes my number is it that range and was registered Sept 2012. I have contacted my local Mazda who last serviced my car hoping for some support but resulted in only disappointment in that direction. Apparently Mazda customer service does not have an internal complaint procedure but are signed up to 'Motor Codes' so I'll be contacting them if my mail to the Mazda UK managing director does not achieve anything.
As far as how cam shaft is replaced Rockton I cannot help as I only saw it with covers removed and then when it was out. Sorry I did not ask the question.
Seeing the cam shaft close up I imagine that the distructive damage (metal fragments) happens very quickly as the outer hardness of the lobes is breached. Hence the lack of any pre warning signs.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 05:36:55 pm »
Thanks for the info. When you saw the cam out did you notice if the head was still in place or if it was removed from the block.

Offline Polymerman

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. When you saw the cam out did you notice if the head was still in place or if it was removed from the block.
No sorry, I asked to take photos once the parts were out and that was when engine was back together and I collected my car. All I can say is that from the workshop manual I have (purchased from eBay for around $12 if I remember correctly) the cam shaft replacement can be completed without removing head from block. Hope this helps.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 06:11:38 pm »
Hi polymerman do you have a workshop maunual that covers the diesel engine then or is it only the petrol models in the US.

Offline Polymerman

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »
Hi polymerman do you have a workshop maunual that covers the diesel engine then or is it only the petrol models in the US.
The manual I have covers the 2.0 and 2.2 engines. Have tried to locate who I bought it from but it was a couple of years ago now. Am sure if you contact a seller they can confirm before you buy.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
Thanks. Have seen a cd on e bay that covers the 2.2D engine as the seller is in OZ, so i may give it a try as i would like to see all the technical details about the engine, presumable there would be cutaway drawings etc as well as the procedures for doing various strip downs, although i dont have any intentions of doing anything big to the car.If anything big went it would probably be covered by Mazda as a known fault as there seem to be many.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »