Author Topic: My Brand New Three Cylinder thrashing machine  (Read 632 times)

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: My Brand New Three Cylinder thrashing machine
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
The Latest....Mazda UK have contacted Mazda Europe who have issued the bulletin that piston slap is to be expected under some start up conditions with the new CX-5 engine which has been completely re-engineered from the old one.

Really so Mazda now build in obsolescence not design it out.Next step will be to contact someone with abilities to make others accountable because had I wanted a three cylinder tractor with attendant rattling engine I'd have bought one not spent £30.000 on a CX-5

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:59 am »
That is a very disappointing response. Having googled piston slap it seems 'normal' to some extent but if it's happening to the extent that it is audible then surely that's metal on metal that is going to wear and go beyond the accepted tolerance?

I guess if it does fail at some point you do now have an audit trail back to them saying what it is and not to worry.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 03:30:24 pm »
According to the person at Mazda UK who admitted he was not technically minded, I was contacted on 17/05/2018 to be informed that Mazda Europe had put out a bulletin that in certain conditions the 2.2 diesel ( again according to the Non Technically Minded person ) which has been extensively redesigned with new pistons and internals etc etc. will have piston slap when starting,

Oh!! so piston slap sounds like the pistons have heavy metallic knocking going on does it as it AGAIN started on three with the engine revs rising to 1800RPM.

It feels to me that Mazda have designed a major problem into this latest engine offering which they have yet to identify, I thought progress was to design out problems not the other way around so as they will not listen to me I will take this further with someone else who enjoys rocking the boat with manufacturers of faulty goods.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 08:33:05 am »
Hi TWA,

You are correct in your paper trail  assumption ( or computer input in this case ) Having worked in the Motor Trade and acquiring a Motor Vehicle Technician status albeit back in the 1970's I have heard many examples of Piston Slap and this does not sound like any I have ever heard , it sounds like no oil is getting around the engine ( Yes I have checked and their is plenty ) with the result it sounds like 2 heavy bells crashing together on the offside of the engine together with audible 3 cylinder firing. I understand that these engines have chain driven counterweights and am wondering if these might be the cause along with duff injector (s ) but as it doesn't do it EVERY time it is a frustrating problem.

If the engine gives out totally then they can pinpoint it but as stated I don't spend that amount of money to cure someone else's screw up I am not a guinea pig for Mazda.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 08:36:51 pm »
Took recording of rattling diesel to independent Motor Vehicle Technician..... His response on hearing this start up rattle... Expletives deleted of course, the oil strainer is blocked and the oil is not getting around the areas it needs to. When i told him it had covered less than 3000 miles. expletives deleted take it back to the garage or write to the CEO of Mazda UK and reject the car. It appears that the oil pressure is not pulling through quick enough to get the metal parts from each other hence this heavy rattle on start up.
My stimation is big ends hitting the crankshaft journals

As far as I am concerned if Mazda do not get their act in order I will plaster this all over the internet and cause a lot of grief for the Marque.I have advised one person already NOT to buy a CX-5 Diesel and will continue to do so when asked.

Take me to Court because i would welcome it especially as a major manufacturer cannot admit to having designed and built an engine that has a flaw and further to that it is not the first time these Shyactiv diesels have been found wanting.

Mazda the ball is in your Court.

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:04 am »
I'd try rejecting the car first, not fit for purpose.

Offline Clarice

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 08:15:48 am »
Recordings of Clarice clattering into life along with other recordings 2 taken on the same day as she also rattled into life whereby no clatter. These have been forwarded to Mazda UK for investigation. According to Salesman the Garage are bound by Mazda themselves as to course of action taken which they cannot baulk or they become responsible for what is a manufacturers problem.
Awaiting outcome , if not positive then will take action myself accordingly via alternative route.

Offline BigAl

• A CX5, a CX500B and a CX650C. Too CX'y...
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 10:11:48 am »
Back in 2013, I had an issue with not being able to get tyres for my first CX5 175 sport-nav (at the time Toyo were the only manufacturer who made that size who Mazda "approved") Toyo had none available in the country. Out of frustration, I contacted What Car who ran a piece on it, contacted Mazda, etc. Mazda then "approved" a different make and covered the cost of the three I needed to keep me going until I could fit a full set of Toyos. At the same time they also did a story on another CX5 owner who had a persistent gearbox rattle, they helped him reject the car and get a replacement.

May be your next step if they don't play ball...

Alan

Offline Clarice

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:59 pm »
Latest...........\you will love this, Lodge Garage called for us to take Clarice to them on the instruction of Mazda UK......for a COMPRESSION TEST ?
I know there is nothing amiss with the top end and informed the Technician at Lodge that in my estimation the Oil Pump has a relief valve which is not functioning correctly all the time in that the pump cannot produce the pressure to keep big ends from the Crank Journals which is causing this heavy rattle and effectively will wreck either the big end bearings and/or the Crank but as a cusomer what do I know, well 13 years in the Motor Trade as a fully qualified technician and followed by 28 years in the service of her Britannic Majesty as a Police Officer before I retired some 5 years ago.
Next I will do what Big Al has suggested and the CEO of Mazda UK will also be e-mailed regarding this absolute shambles relating to this most expensive thrashing Machine and the inability of his own house to sort it out.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:59 pm »