Author Topic: Facelift satnav wifi and update issues  (Read 23615 times)

Offline simon_p_m

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Facelift satnav wifi and update issues
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:26:15 pm »
Hi, guys.

I took delivery of a facelift CX-5 2.2 LE Lux Nav a couple of weeks ago. Firstly, what afar to drive! It really is a thing of beauty.

BUT! I'm having terrible issues with the satnav.

Issue 1: Wifi
I do 25,000 miles per year in my car for work. So I need the love updating traffic to work. I'm super-sensitive about this, because the love traffic in my last Mazda 3 didn't work for about a year, and I had to ride the dealer really, really hard to get it fixed.

In the new CX-5, as you may know, the car needs to make a wifi connection with your phone in order to download live traffic, weather and fuel prices. I have an iPhone 5s, and I'm pretty tech-savvy, but connecting the wifi is proving insanely difficult.

I have, on occasion, persuaded the car to hook up to my phone via its hotspot, so I know I have all of the details entered correctly into the infotainment setup section. BUT the car almost never connects to the wifi. What sometimes happens is that the phone shows the blue flash at the too to indicate a user is using the hotspot, but then the car eventually rejects the connection.

What happens on other occasions is that the car takes about twenty minutes of constant trying before the wifi connection actually works.

On most occasions, it just never connects.

It DID connect once, and I got live traffic updates. But that's the only time I've ever seen it work.

The dealer let me try to connect my phone via wifi to a Mazda 6 in the showroom. It took approximately half a second to connect, and was perfect.

Update the infotainment firmware, you say? Well, that just leads to Issue 2.

Issue 2: Updating the firmware
If I update the firmware via the Mazda Toolbox on my PC, when I put the SD card back into the car, it kills the satnav. When you hit the Nav button, it just says "Navigation loading" (or something similar), the screen goes black and a bit grey, and then repeats for ever.

I backed up the card via the toolbox before I first updated. After the first update screwed the satnav, I rolled the card back to the original version, but the satnav was still dead.

The dealer gave me a new SD card, and the satnav came back straight away. I updated this new card to the newest firmware, and it killed the SD card again. I rolled it back to the previous version via backup on the toolbox, and luckily this time the satnav came back to life.

One consequence of all of this is that the satnav now seems to take about two minutes to load when the car is first turned on. I'm pretty sure when I first took delivery the satnav popped straight on.

Do the situation is that the satnav takes ages to load, I can't update the firmware without killing the navigation, and the wifi basically won't connect but I can't see if it's fixed in the new version of the firmware because it kills the satnav.

The dealer is clueless, but is probably going to put a new head unit in. We are also going to try updating the firmware via the dealer's computer next week (not doing it this week because I have a thousand miles to cover for work and I want a working satnav). When i first complained, the dealer said it was a surprise to him that the car even had love updating traffic or wifi. Classic.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Simon.

Offline DHZ7945

• Too CX-y For My Car
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: Facelift satnav wifi and update issues
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:06 am »
I Updated the SD card last week and is working OK. (It Took ages though) On a couple of occasions it as shut down and reloaded itself again and on one occasion it as said that I don't have SatNav and gave me a compass to look at. So I took the card out and put it back in and as worked OK ever since. As for the wifi, i did get it to connect to my Smartphone once, but I've not looked at it since.

But the best thing is the speed camera notification, travelling down the M18 last week and a siren sounded in my speakers. Wondered what the hell was happening.  :o Looked up and a traffic cop was parked at the side of the motorway. Then I went passed a speed camera and no notification sound, so I've now gone into setting and you have to tick the speech notification on and now she talks to me all the time  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:55:10 am by DHZ7945 »
:)

Offline simon_p_m

• Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:05:18 am »
So that suggests the wifi WAS connected and people had reported the traffic cop.

I'm writing this at the M40 Oxford services. I've been on the road for 1.5 hours, and the wifi JUST connected to the phone. I accidentally killed the ignition and restarted it, and the wifi connected without any intervention from me.

Of course, now I've only got GPRS on the phone, so no traffic data to download!

Offline amgard

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:23 pm »
After updating my satnav SD card unsuccessfully I eventually got the dealer to reset it AND the entire satnav/infotainment system.
The satnav lasted 2 days before going into continuous 'loading navigation'.
I've now been advised to wait until the updated firmware is available - later this month - possibly..

Surely some people are having successful satnav experiences???

(2015 facelift 2.2D 150 Sportnav)

Offline chris2301

• i'm CXy and i know it.
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:26 pm »
I'm awaiting a navteq sd card off ebay to try in my 2.0sel. I've been told it should work. If it works i'll be one happy puppy. if it works and updates via mazda toolbox I will let you know. Chris.

Offline Fangface

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:57:12 pm »
After updating my satnav SD card unsuccessfully I eventually got the dealer to reset it AND the entire satnav/infotainment system.
The satnav lasted 2 days before going into continuous 'loading navigation'.
I've now been advised to wait until the updated firmware is available - later this month - possibly..

Surely some people are having successful satnav experiences???

I have a new facelift model that I got a few weeks ago and have had no problem with the Satnav.  I updated via the Mazda Toolbox the first night and although it took over 2 hours to download the updates and copy them over it worked fine when I put it back in the car.

The only things I find strange is the lack of an option to change the voice on the system and the fact the Satnav displays the street you are approaching (including side streets) at the top of the display when using any of the screens as opposed to what street you are on at present.  Why would I care what the name of the street I am driving past is?

(2015 facelift 2.2D 150 Sportnav)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:36:35 pm by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »
Why would I care what the name of the street I am driving past is?

Always useful if you are looking for a specific turn off road in a city environment. You can check your progress towards your turn off by watching the display vs the road you are actually passing.

TomTom has always done this.

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 12:50:12 am »
I have the older TomTom system and have had few problems. I am not aware of any link between the live traffic and my phone. I don't always bother connecting the phone anyway.
Main gripe is the £55 a year to get live traffic info, and the complicated way to get it working after you have paid.
Once it is working it seems fine. Only problem I have is shutting off the Route before I have reached the destination. Tried shouting at it and finally got the response "Clear route" which worked.
Also some difficulty getting the destination right - try setting a route to Gatwick Airport!
I have a Blackberry Z10, so expected problems. Apart from a couple of occasions when it did not get the phonebook, works well. Everything except Downloading Messages. Says "do you want to Download?" but eventually gives up. Just wish I could get rid of the message.
Screen navigation using touch or controller is not very user friendly.
Last note. Until the last time I did it, the updates always failed first time. Selecting update and repeating worked. Speed will depend on your connection as files can get close to 1 GB total.

Offline skippa

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:02:22 am »
I thought I would update the SD card for the SatNav/Infortainment. Mazda Toolbox told me that the card had updated successfully - took it to the car and it seemed to work OK - however, when out driving yesterday the SatNav was constantly uploading and giving a blank screen. I removed the card and re-inserted it. Same again!

I restored to the backed up original then did the update again - Zilch! Once again I restored the original data and it is working OK (for now!). Does anyone have any further advice they could pass on to achieve a successful map update? I keep thinking that there maybe a corrupt file on the Mazda Toolbox download.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:02:22 am »